• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dolby Atmos Speakers

Holy shit ... Do we really have an active thread about speakers and receivers going on?!?!

Just wondering if someone should pm Ashley and ask him his take on Atmos? LOL

Didn't he have like 20 speakers and a shitload of subs going at once?

:rofl:

Right now, somewhere in the UK, in a padded cell with internet service...

Oh boy, just wait until Matt chimes in with all of the talk of multiple subs.:rofl:
Because we all know that the only thing better than one amazing subwoofer is ten subwoofers, some amazing, some crap.

Going to bump this and see if anyone else has ventured into Atmos, or am I the only one? Quite happy with my setup now. I finally broke down and had 4 in ceiling Klipsch speakers installed so I have the 5.2.4 setup going.

Going to bump this and see if anyone else has ventured into Atmos, or am I the only one? Quite happy with my setup now. I finally broke down and had 4 in ceiling Klipsch speakers installed so I have the 5.2.4 setup going.

I'm running 7.2.2...

I have the speakers....I still need to install them and get a new preamp. I'm in no particular hurry but I'll certainly have it before or in conjunction with a 4K projector.

Other than an Atmos-capable pre/pro, I have all the necessaries to easily add 2 or 4 additional speakers to my main HT: speakers (RS Minimus 7s should do the trick) plus some extra NAD 2155 stereo amps kicking around. Thing is that the room is already full of "big" sound as it is (stretching literally from floor to ceiling), with great 7.1 localization, so I'm not (yet) convinced that I'm really missing out on anything. But if and when the Onkyo 886 ever gives up the ghost, whatever I replace it with will have all of whatever the current capabilities in a high-end pre/pro are, and at that time I'd throw up the extras, if the urge ever struck.

I can certainly imagine a noticeable difference in a bigger, and especially higher-ceilinged, room than my small main HT.

Jeff

ps. Are you two (Elf and C) running dual subs in a true .2 mode, and if so do you think it's sonically noticeable? I've got multiple subs in a complex bass-management arrangement but I still only have a single (.1) LFE channel.

I have the speakers....I still need to install them and get a new preamp. I'm in no particular hurry but I'll certainly have it before or in conjunction with a 4K projector.
See now I think the Batcave is one such room where I could imagine a significant difference with an Atmos installation.

Both subs get the same signal (LFE + bass management).

I've heard Atmos in rooms with pretty low ceilings and thought it sounded really good - one such room convinced me that I needed to set it up in my HT.

Back