• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

How To Keep Equipment Dust Free?

team_tsp

Hey guys, sorry if this thread isn't in the right spot, as I wasn't sure what the best area was for this lol.

I was just wondering if you all had any suggestions for keeping dust off speaker drivers (particularly the bottom edge of woofer surrounds), as well as away from the inside audio equipment (amps, receivers, etc)?

Do you all just use those cans of compressed air? And if used on speaker drivers, do you just use them from a safe distance (e.g. ~3 inches away or something)?

I know this is kind of random, but dust does tend to accumulate over the years lol.

I've been using a feather duster, don't think it can scratch or damage anything and it never "runs out".

For whatever reason, though, it drove the dogs crazy. No idea why.

I would keep the grille cloth on the front of the speaker (if it has one) to avoid the problem in the first place, at least when you're not actually using the speaker.

To remove dust, the feather duster is a good idea, and you might also use one of the air bulbs that you can get at camera supply stores which sometimes have a soft brush attached. I would not use compressed air. It might have too much force (especially on a tweeter dome) and if you don't hold the can correctly, the can will spew the coolant stuff which can damage the cone by attracting moisture.

The best thing though is to prevent the dust from getting onto the cones in the first place by using the grille which covers the front of the speaker.

Back