• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Is it just too old?

Dentman

Guys I have a very highly rated ( back in the day) Parasound AV1800 Pre Amp that is mint.
I could really careless about ease of hook up or less use of cables. Even video switching is not a great concern.

Aside from those issues is there any good reason for me to not use this pre amp for my new room? Movies and video are a very distant second to audio for me.

Depends on your sources. A lot of devices only have HDMI outputs. If you don't mind running things through the TV and running optical (no advanced audio codecs) to the preamp for video sources.

Depends on your sources. A lot of devices only have HDMI outputs. If you don't mind running things through the TV and running optical (no advanced audio codecs) to the preamp for video sources.
I'm only interested in the standard Dolby and std surround formats, no atoms or height channels.

Guys I have a very highly rated ( back in the day) Parasound AV1800 Pre Amp that is mint.
I could really careless about ease of hook up or less use of cables. Even video switching is not a great concern.

Aside from those issues is there any good reason for me to not use this pre amp for my new room? Movies and video are a very distant second to audio for me.
When I first joined this band of misfits 7 years ago or so, I was advancing from stereo to 5.1. I retired my 30-year old Yamaha integrated amp, only because it didn't have 5.1 channels. It worked perfectly, I still have it, and "sorta" plan on setting up another "stereo" room with it. Someday.
If your Parasound provides the features you want, and still works, KEEP IT AND USE IT! It will probably last longer than anything you could buy at BestBuy new today.
And, oddly, even with the super-cool HDMI cables, my cable nest behind my rack seems 4 times as complicated as my old Yamaha system.

I'm kind of late to this thread, and can only speak about the amplifier side of things since I know nothing about your video needs. At any rate, preamp and power amp technology has not really advanced since probably 1980. The transistor part numbers might be different, but they are essentially the same old things. Same for analog ICs; in fact the venerable 5532/5534 op-amps from 1979 are still currently made and routinely used in new designs because nothing is dramatically better.

So if your pre/power amp section still passes signal, it will do so as well as anything you might buy today (maybe even better).

So there. :drinkingbeer:

Well I have the old girl up and running. It's controlling my new (to me) Rotel 980BX 120 x 120 amp and I must say it's sounds great. The bass management is way limited and all have is the choice of 80hz or nothing for the speakers.

It does let me choose 300hz as an option for the sub which allows me to let my new Dayton Audio class A/B sub amp to tweak crossover point more precisely.

Back