• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Not too proud to ask for help :)

Nufan

I know this is not audio related; I'm am hijacking a thread that has a chance of getting read.

I'm scared of flying...there, I said it. I know it's silly and unfounded, but hey--we all have something

I know a lot of you fly often and I'm looking for some advice/skills.

I am not scared of the plane crashing.....I do not like take offs and being in a confined space with no way out.
I have flown before, (I white knuckle it) but it has been years. This is the first trip with the wife and we are going to Kauai for 10 days.
We are flying first class from the west coast, so looking at about a 6-7 hour flight.
She is aware of my anxiety. My doctor gave me some Ativan. I am trying to remain positive and not think of panic attacks or I will worry myself into one.

As anyone else had this phobia and what helped you? I am working on cognitive therapy, but it is occuping my thoughts as we leave this Friday (8/6).

Thanks for listening.

I don’t have much to offer. But I deal with mild agoraphobia so I can imagine how real (for lack of a better word) your problem is.

My ex-wife struggled with flying, buyt her desire to see the world drove her to deal with it. Left to her own devices didn't work, the fear would overcome her. I discovered that if I could distract her with conversation and tv shows on the tablet, she did pretty okay. For her the trick was starting beforehand and keeping busy in the terminal rather than sitting right next to the gate where she would go into a panic. I'd walk around with her joking and shopping. Then once in the plane is keep her talking intently. So the time would pass and all the worrying would be put off as we sat, taxied and took off. Once in the air she did fine as long as I could keep her distracted with talking, entertainment, or food. Landing was never goid for her, but it was usually quick enough she'd make it.

That was her. Distraction worked.

I was afraid to fly my whole life, up until we moved to Texas nearly 5 years ago. After a flight to Miami back in 1989 I promised God I'd never fly again if he got me home safe...yea I know so shut the F up!!!!! Rat bastards !

Anyway next two times I was forced to fly I took a Low dose Xanax and had a single drink before the plane, and one on the plane. Worked like a charm. Did the same a second time, and now I have more or less zero anxiety and no need for anything.

I've never had Ativan, but if it works like Xanax your in. Have a drink before getting on the plane, A DRINK NOT 3. you'll be good to go. Also make sure you have a movie to watch or tv series downloaded and ready to go.

Have you ever taken Ativan before? If so and if it gave you some relief then you are good to go.

I agree with Dentman, just be damn careful mixing any of those types of meds with alcohol. It WILL help, but 1 drink too many and you could end up in a bad way.

Like Dent said, 1 drink, not 3.

Thank you all for listening and your advise.
I will not be drinking as it will probably make me more nervous.
I take 1 mg of Klonopin twice a day and she said to take 2 mg before the flight and 1 mg of Ativan if needed.

Grrrr...Stupid unwarranted emotions!

Thank you all for listening and your advise.
I will not be drinking as it will probably make me more nervous.
I take 1 mg of Klonopin twice a day and she said to take 2 mg before the flight and 1 mg of Ativan if needed.

Grrrr...Stupid unwarranted emotions!
Wow, with that Klonopin on board you should be aces!!!! Yikes!

Smoke a couple of blunts, drink bottle or 2 of wine or half bottle of bourbon. I assure you that flying will be the least your problems. Enjoy, sounds like a great time to be had.

Wow, with that Klonopin on board you should be aces!!!! Yikes!
I've took 1mg Kolonopin BID and 0.5mg prn for over 20 years. Of course I have tolerance. Hopefully the Ativan will bring it up to therapeutic effects...along with some CBT.

I've took 1mg Kolonopin BID and 0.5mg prn for over 20 years. Of course I have tolerance. Hopefully the Ativan will bring it up to therapeutic effects...along with some CBT.
Best of luck.
I think for me watching a tv series with headphones really may have helped the most. It melts the hours away.

id try to see if there are other alternatives firsthand,

just woke up and more than happy to share my tips.

lemme get the kid ready for the day first then i'll jump right in..

I have flown my whole life and then out of nowhere about 4 years ago I had a panic attack after the door closed on a very short flight from St. Louis to Chicago. I don't know what triggered it but it was more like claustrophobia than a fear of flying. I made it thru the flight but it was unpleasant. I avoided flying for about a year after that (which wasn't hard because I have young kids) but I eventually had to travel for a family wedding. I was worried about how I would do with the flight. I decided I better keep my mind occupied so I found a good book and read at the gate and keep reading as I boarded the plane and thru takeoff etc... It helped distract me and I had no issues. Since then that has been my go-to routine. I just recently made it over to Europe and back on 7+ hours flights so I was relieved that my process worked for that too.

My wife takes Xanax. She never remembers much about the flight. It works, but explain to your doctor why you want it as it is highly addictive

So have you tried the medication with a test. Small tight space in home safe. try a closet or small bathroom.
Then see what the effects are and how you feel.

I'm back! I flew using the directions my doctor told me qith the klonopin and ativan. I not going to say it was totally smooth, I had some moments, but I'm proud of myself.
10 days in Kauai was worth it. I want to be able to travel with my wife. She understands my anxiety.
Thank you for all the hints and suggestions.

Back