• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Noise Cancelling vs IEM

FredtheFilmFan

Well hello! Great to see that the gang is still here!

I've been doing some research/reading/listening to try and figure out if some cool new Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones should be on the Christmas list. I travel 5-8 times a year and thought that the N/C option may be a good one. However, I listened to some (Bose, Sennheiser, Sony) and I wasn't blown away with the SQ. The noise cancelling seemed to work well enough to reduce the back ground noise, but it seemed to make the music sound...funny/odd.

So, my question, would you think I'd be better off to continue using my Shure SE315's with Bluetooth Amp (Audio Technica) or does anyone have any suggestions for N/C headphones. And another question as well, should I expect my current SE315's to sound better with the amplifier? I've read some other posts here that lead me to believe they would.

Well hello! Great to see that the gang is still here!

I've been doing some research/reading/listening to try and figure out if some cool new Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones should be on the Christmas list. I travel 5-8 times a year and thought that the N/C option may be a good one. However, I listened to some (Bose, Sennheiser, Sony) and I wasn't blown away with the SQ. The noise cancelling seemed to work well enough to reduce the back ground noise, but it seemed to make the music sound...funny/odd.

So, my question, would you think I'd be better off to continue using my Shure SE315's with Bluetooth Amp (Audio Technica) or does anyone have any suggestions for N/C headphones. And another question as well, should I expect my current SE315's to sound better with the amplifier? I've read some other posts here that lead me to believe they would.

Go with the Bluetooth receiver on your current IEMs. I have long felt that if sound quality matters at all, an IEM is the best choice. With proper sleeves you can get as much as 33dB noise reduction from the earplug effect (better than the best Bose products) and the sound quality of a killer IEM, which is hard to beat - especially considering they allow you to turn the volume WAY down and still hear every little detail and thus reducing listening fatigue over long periods of listening.

If I were buying new today, I would get the new Shure Bluetooth cable for SE headphones. I don't know if the SE315 has the removable connectors for the cables, but if it does, I'd go that route.

I saw your post about the Shure Bluetooth cable just after I posted my question. The 315's are indeed detachable. Amazon has the cable for $129CAN which is way less than the $500 or so the Bluetooth headphones sell for. Perhaps if I drop enough subtle hints (texting the link on amazon) to Santa I will be surprised on Christmas morning.

Another question, would amplification benefit the se315's? I wouldn't have thought it would matter for such a small earpiece, but comments in the other thread make me think otherwise. Though I see the se535's and se846's have multiple drivers, not just one.

Not sure I understand the question. Anything which drives your IEMs has an amplifier. They are extremely efficient, so there is no need for a "larger" amp. What does matter is low noise.

The Shure Bluetooth cable has an amp in it specifically designed for all their IEMs. You should be in great shape with that.

Right. Super efficient. No added amplification needed. I was thinking headphone amp of some kind. I think I have to get that cable, it looks like exactly the solution I need. Thanks!

It's pretty amazing that this forum has endured. I think back to the SV forum and I'd bet that maps have changed, basic science has changed since then. Was Pluto still a planet then? Anyway, great to see familiar names.

Back