• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Star Wars-The Last Jedi

Huey

Famous
I don't remember seeing a posting about this, and with the trailer dropping Monday, it won't be long until it is theaters.

I read something yesterday that the poster paid a little homage to Darth Vader, and didn't see it until somebody flipped the poster. They've added a few things to complete the picture, but they didn't have to add much. darth.jpg

It is actually right side up. That said I got lucky and got online before the trailer and was able to purchase tix. Got Imax for Friday morning, iPic Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon at iPic again. Friend, then wife, then daughter.

Disney knows they have what will likely be the highest grossing movie of 2017 and they are making incredible demands of the theaters who want to cash in on its popularity. They are demanding the movie remain in every venue's largest theater for no less than 4 weeks, regardless of ticket sales. They are asking for largest percentage of the ticket sales ever demanded from a studio - 65%. If theaters fail to comply to either of those demands, they will get 70% of ticket sales. Otherwise the theater cannot show the movie at all.

I know this movie is going to be yuge and all, but do I really need Star Wars stickers on my bananas? The marketing for this movie is off the rails. Less than 10 days until it comes out, and I'm getting pretty excited to see it. I was reading an article the other day, and I don't remember the actual numbers, but it was something like 6 out of 10, or 8 out of 15, but Disney has had the most top grossing movies of the year, and Star Wars hasn't even been released yet. And now they are in talks to buy Fox studios, or at least the movie division.

And now they are in talks to buy Fox studios, or at least the movie division.

Fox holds some rights to the original trilogy. That acquisition could mean Disney finally has all the pieces in place for a remastered HD release of the original flicks. That's known as "a license to print money."

Fox holds some rights to the original trilogy. That acquisition could mean Disney finally has all the pieces in place for a remastered HD release of the original flicks. That's known as "a license to print money."
I had forgotten about that. I can't say I hate what Disney has done with the Star Wars franchise, but can a movie studio ever be too big? Could the FTC ever step in and break them up?
At least if Disney buys Fox, we may finally see a decent Fantastic Four film, although I didn't hate the first one.

There are many reasons I don't like Disney, but over the past decade or so they have managed to take poorly managed assets and turn them into amazing products for the audience who wants to see them most. They also have a focus on quality, and spending money to get the best possible quality, which has to be admired. I know that when Disney buys some franchise, like they did with Star Wars, that the result will be the best additions to the franchise ever. They research the core audience for the movies and focus on giving them what they want, not pursuing some vision of whatever producer manages to get enough money to buy the rights. Heck, look at how many of their movies took months or years longer to release because they saw that the project was running afoul of what the target audience would ever want to see. I like that - but it can kill random creativity and destroys risk taking.

Just bought my tickets online for Saturday at 3:50. I watched A New Hope, I mean the Force Awakens yesterday just so it was pretty fresh in my mind when we see it this weekend.

I'm hoping it's enough different that it isn't compared to Empire Strikes Back, like the Force Awakens was compared to a New Hope. I do think there will be a pretty big mind fuck with this one, and I can't help but think that Finn has a bigger back story than what has been to be seen. I also didn't realize that Snoke says the name of the movie in the Force Awakens.

As always, I’m sure there’s a lot of misdirection in the trailers and TV spots, but on the surface it’s coming off like a amalgamation of ESB and RoTJ. I’m expecting it to be damn good though and also a surprise twist or two. The director has already been hired to direct his on spin-off trilogy so he must have done something(s) that jives with the studio and producers’ overall plan.

Bought my tickets for a Sunday viewing the day they became available.
I think I should buy my 2nd viewing tickets sometime soon...

Wish I could set up the marathon viewing of IV, V, VI, VII before VIII...ugh...way to busy with life to make this a reality.

My goodness!!!

I have a good friend and former co-worker, a Chinese national living in Beijing, who was such a huge Star Wars fan that he went through the trouble of getting a visa and flying to North Carolina, USA, to see it on at 5:30am opening morning. Then, turn around and immediately fly home. That's fandom!

Here he is in the Theater, about an 90 minutes early but with nothing to do they let him in.
25299022_10213009013173134_2696360411415260100_n.jpg

Last edited:
Wife and I have tickets for 3:50 this afternoon, and I'm pretty excited. Couldn't help but read a couple of spoilers, although they weren't too surprising. What I am surprised about, is the movie isn't smashing box office records, although it is getting very positive reviews.

Reviews on RT are divided amongst viewers. A surprising development.

Reviews on RT are divided amongst viewers. A surprising development.

I'm not sure there's anything that would satisfy some current fans. Seems there's a decent contingent of die hard Star Wars fanboys for whom any new movie is The Phantom Menace all over again (which, they insist they hated from the first moment- but remembering when that came out, they were actually filled with glee, so now it's all just self loathing transferred to new movies). They hated The Force Awakens- yes, it was similar to the original Star Wars, but it was a good way to reawaken fan interest in the series. They hated Rogue One, and I still am not sure why.

Our tickets are for tomorrow night. I'm expecting a good time.

I went last evening. Literally a last minute decision as I needed to kill a few hours between driving Gen and a friend to a Xmas party, and then picking them up.

I'll avoid spoilers.

It was good. Well made. But... I'm not a fanboy (although I've seen all of them) so I'll really losing interest in this whole Force thingy. By the completely predictable (plot twists???) ending I'd had my fill of it.

Oh and you know a series is getting old and stale by counting the number of self-deprecating jokes. Sure they drew some chuckles, even some laughs, but it had a real same-old same-old feel to it.

Ok, one example: wasn't that the same fat guy with a goatee in an orange flight suit getting blown up in a fighter as we've seen at least once before? I mean the Star Wars fat guy with a goatee in the orange jump suit in a fighter is like a Star Trek ensign in a red uniform as part of landing party mission to a strange planet. You just know it's not going to end well for either!

Still, given my other choices at the multiplex last night, I believe I chose wisely.

Jeff

Wife and I saw it yesterday. Parts we love and parts were just meh. Looked and sounded great, and it was to see some new characters. I will say at times, I could feel the Disney creeping in, but I think they have been pretty loyal to Lucas overall. And yes, I thought the same thing about the fat guy with the goatee, like haven't we seen this guy get blown up before?

Do they still use cute little Muppets in these films? I havnt seen any since the Jabba the but one. I'm no fan that's for sure but I may try and watch rogue one on Netflix.

I'll never forget me and a friend sitting in the theater for the premier of Star Wars. The woman behind us was trying to explain the new "Dolby thing" to her companion.

Saw this one yesterday. Caught a matinee w GF and her kids and we all really liked it. I still haven't seen anything but episodes 4, 5, and 6 buy I feel like they did a good enough job with the story that I wasn't really lost at any time.

Back