• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Direct Tv Now.

I decided to sign up for DTVNOW tody and canceled my spectrum streaming service. I can also cancel my HBO NOW account and will be paying just about the same price overall with more selections.

Guys I just had a pop up on my phone saying I'm approaching my 100gig limit with comcast internet. I dismissed it as a scam pop up but now I'm wondering. You ever hear of a home internet provider limiting your service?

I thought landline ISP limits were much higher than any normal house would ever consume. But, yes, to prevent people from abusing the network, reselling service, or using their home contract to run a web hosting service, they almost all have some sort of maximum.

I thought landline ISP limits were much higher than any normal house would ever consume. But, yes, to prevent people from abusing the network, reselling service, or using their home contract to run a web hosting service, they almost all have some sort of maximum.
I need to look into this further. I just checked the comcast site and it said customers are limited to 1 TB of usage. The message I got said I had used 101gb. Something is odd here.

Most ISPs do indeed have limits but 1TB is an insanely high limit but 100GB seems too low.

I decided to sign up for DTVNOW tody and canceled my spectrum streaming service. I can also cancel my HBO NOW account and will be paying just about the same price overall with more selections.

I’m surprised how many people still think that going 100% streaming is only a millennial thing.

I need to look into this further. I just checked the comcast site and it said customers are limited to 1 TB of usage. The message I got said I had used 101gb. Something is odd here.
If you go streaming only for TV and watch as normal (4 hours a day or more as background white noise) how much data would you use?

If you go streaming only for TV and watch as normal (4 hours a day or more as background white noise) how much data would you use?

Too many variables to say accurately but my Netflix shows me that I get 4K resolution at around 12Mbps and 1080p at around 6Mbps. DTVnow content won’t use anywhere near that much bandwidth and it varies by channel (among other things). DTVNow says they need between 2.5 and 7Mbps for HD. So let’s go with the high end and say 7Mbps.

4 hours X 60 minutes X 60 seconds is 14,400 seconds.

14,400 X 7Mbps is 100,800 megs (100.8 Gigs) of data per day.

Last edited:
Too many variables to say accurately but my Netflix shows me that I get 4K resolution at around 12Mbps and 1080p at around 6Mbps. DTVnow content won’t use anywhere near that much bandwidth and it varies by channel (among other things). DTVNow says they need between 2.5 and 7Mbps for HD. So let’s go with the high end and say 7Mbps.

4 hours X 60 minutes X 60 seconds is 14,400 seconds.

14,400 X 7Mbps is 100,800 megs (100.8 Gigs) of data per day.
That would eat through roughly 3 TB/month. Even if you go with the low end of that estimate you're hitting near 1TB...that's a lot of data.

What happens when you hit the limit instituted by the ISP? Do they throttle or cut you off?

Most ISPs do indeed have limits but 1TB is an insanely high limit but 100GB seems too low.

1TB is not that high. I once downloaded 7TB in a month. Another time, I uploaded 27TB over about six weeks. This is what can happen when you backup a NAS full of media to the cloud.

Sadly, I'm picking up a 1TB limit when I am forced to switch to Comcast at the new house.

That would eat through roughly 3 TB/month. Even if you go with the low end of that estimate you're hitting near 1TB...that's a lot of data.

What happens when you hit the limit instituted by the ISP? Do they throttle or cut you off?

Comcast lets you buy unlimited data for an extra $50/mo.

Fuckers.

1TB is not that high. I once downloaded 7TB in a month. Another time, I uploaded 27TB over about six weeks. This is what can happen when you backup a NAS full of media to the cloud.

Sadly, I'm picking up a 1TB limit when I am forced to switch to Comcast at the new house.

1TB is way more than enough capacity for the non maniacs to stream content. You’re proclivity to horde and backup content isn’t shared by 99.9% of the world or even 99.0% of the AV enthusiast crowd.

Depends on the ISP.
If only there were a way for the ISP to idnetify video content and separate that chunk of data from the rest and bill appropriately.

Getting political, are we?

Just sayin
It’d also be kinda awesome if the ISP could bundle video data along with other products or services and exclude that chunk from the data cap.

Just sayin
It’d also be kinda awesome if the ISP could bundle video data along with other products or services and exclude that chunk from the data cap.

Wait... I thought Net Neutrality was cancelled already.

Comcast lets you buy unlimited data for an extra $50/mo.

Fuckers.
Holy shit that's expensive.
Clearly I need to check how much data I'm using now, then during the D*Now trial see how much data I use. Cutting the cord is under further review.

Holy shit that's expensive.
Clearly I need to check how much data I'm using now, then during the D*Now trial see how much data I use. Cutting the cord is under further review.

Verizon had no caps, so I'm kinda pissed that I have to switch over to these clowns. I considered reducing my overall bandwidth by simply moving my entire server stack into the cloud, as I already have an up-to-date backup of everything I have on Google Drive. What held me back was that I did not want to put all my eggs in Google's basket when they can change their terms and conditions at any time. I also recoiled a bit at the thought of spending at least $50/mo on a VPS. The core problem is that my library does not fit on my NAS, all of my movies are uncompressed Blu-Ray rips and I cannot transcode down to a more reasonable bit-rate to save bandwidth, because the server is here.

They offered me a plan with symmetrical service and no caps for $299/mo, to which I demurred. I haven't even moved yet and I already hate Comcast.

Back