• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Curious about your thoughts - speaker exciters

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
saw this recently on my youtube recommendations,

this,

and this,

in one part of the video, he clearly states that anything under 120hz isnt quite usable, and would need a subwoofer.

never attempted to do these.

not as impressive as flints 2.1 system tho. :D

I am extremely intrigued by these.

I know they are not high fidelity by any means - so don't expect to see these replacing a good set of speakers.

However, if one is considering a typical TV sound bar, I'd seriously think about making two large panels, perhaps with a movie poster or art poster glued to it, with exciters on them mounted on each side of the TV and a modest subwoofer.

I've often thought this would be more aesthetically pleasing and might sound perfectly acceptable.

since you've been busy building stuff, ever considering diving into these?

where you do get all this time to do this anyways?!?

since you've been busy building stuff, ever considering diving into these?

where you do get all this time to do this anyways?!?

I'd build with these for a customer, but only if there was a proper reason for using them - the best reason being for cosmetic reasons. While I haven't used the DIY exciters myself, I've heard other people's attempts to make speakers with exciters as well as some commercial applications which have different goals than high fidelity.

What I see as a possible appropriate application for these is a foam board about 24 x 36 inches in size with a movie poster or art print glued to the front. With the right exciter placement and placement, a one of these on each side of a wall-mounted TV in a living room or party space would be very interesting. Better sound than the TV speakers or cheap small speakers, but completely hiding any perceived presence of speakers, this could be interesting.

But, I know they will never sound on par with a similarly priced bookshelf or soundbar sized custom speaker I could build using traditional methods.

would these serve well as dolby atmos speakers? instead of having speaker directly above your head, and with frequencies going to about 100hz, i assume it might be a better alternative to full on bookshelves or surrounds.

i thought i head that the 'speaker' has to be isolated, that it was hung on string. i therefore think you cant just mount them with glue or install them with hooks right?

Back