• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Witcher - Netflix

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
yes, i made another thread.

pauly, this is interesting, and based on the commentary was that this was definitely before the wild hunt and witcher 2.

so, its way above my head. but after the first episode i look forward to it.

the politics of the game has always been over my head, all i want is the witcher killing stuff.

the backstory is definitely needed, but maybe for others, no.

just need to know his 'powers' and the monsters he slays for beginners.

oh, i noticed his medallion is also different.

all based on the book, and not the game. a strongpoint and also a letdown for gamers like me.

Yeah I see it as sort of like the Batman stories: they're all based on the same fundamental character and backstory and setting, but where each writer/comic/movie gives a different slant on it and takes the plot in different directions.

Right, this series is certainly not directly following the games. But having played them does help to understand the basic setting. The names of all the major characters come right out of the games. But things like Yennefer's physical appearance and such are totally different. I don't actually remember if Ciri (Cirilla) was in the original novel, but since the entire third installment of the game is about Ciri, that gives a lot of weight to her relationship with Geralt that is upcoming in the netflix series (after the second episode, they still haven't met).

So far I like the show, pretty decent acting and production. The one thing that really bugs me though is that Geralt is supposed to have yellow cat-like eyes, although again I don't remember if that's just a game thing, or if that was in the book too, as it's been years since I've read it.

They haven't talked much yet about witcher's powers - although I notice him using "aard" (sort of a shockwave thing) at one point, potions, mutations, swords (though they mentioned the silver sword briefly, without much explanation). I'm curious to see how they develop this, and whether it'll ultimately make sense to people coming to the show without the background of the novel or games.

I have never read the books or played the game but plan on watching 1-2 episodes today

When I first heard about the Witcher on Netflix, didn't know what to think as I had never heard of it. Then I came across this yesterday. The one I saw yesterday didn't have spanish subtitles, and I'm on a computer without speakers, so I hope this is in english. It quickly brought me up to speed as to what it was, and I'll probably watch it.

^--- Yeah it's english (with spanish subtitles). I'm not sure that 60s clip really explains much that you wouldn't get from a couple of episodes of the show itself, but it's a start.

Pauly, I couldve sworn I’ve seen promo footage where Geralt’s eyes change.

Pauly, I couldve sworn I’ve seen promo footage where Geralt’s eyes change.
In the clip I posted above, his eyes do change, but to black not yellow. Although that doesn't mean they don't turn yellow elsewhere in the series.

His eyes changed after using a potion called cats eyes. This elevate his senses towards the supernatural.

Pauly, the first character in the series he conversed with, might bring up a familiar character. I will spoiler tag it later when I'm on a pc.

it's the main reason he is called the butcher of blaviken.

Last edited:
A witcher essentially is put to several test, until he "graduates ". Afterwards, he is tested to other portions and pushed to his limits. Essentially geralt i
Yeah I see it as sort of like the Batman stories: they're all based on the same fundamental character and backstory and setting, but where each writer/comic/movie gives a different slant on it and takes the plot in different directions.

true, apparently the writer does not intervene or interject any of his inputs. he just too busy working.

Right, this series is certainly not directly following the games. But having played them does help to understand the basic setting. The names of all the major characters come right out of the games. But things like Yennefer's physical appearance and such are totally different. I don't actually remember if Ciri (Cirilla) was in the original novel, but since the entire third installment of the game is about Ciri, that gives a lot of weight to her relationship with Geralt that is upcoming in the netflix series (after the second episode, they still haven't met).

i miss my other witch.

So far I like the show, pretty decent acting and production. The one thing that really bugs me though is that Geralt is supposed to have yellow cat-like eyes, although again I don't remember if that's just a game thing, or if that was in the book too, as it's been years since I've read it.

it was more when he uses cats eyes potion, i havent seen his eyes turn black so im not certain about it.

They haven't talked much yet about witcher's powers - although I notice him using "aard" (sort of a shockwave thing) at one point, potions, mutations, swords (though they mentioned the silver sword briefly, without much explanation). I'm curious to see how they develop this, and whether it'll ultimately make sense to people coming to the show without the background of the novel or games.

oh man, you made me remember aard all of a sudden. i am a bit pissed tho, not seeing that he is toting two swords, i dont care for the other ones but silver sword is my main concern. like seeing a samurai with only one sword.

oh, why do they keep referring to his clothing? i also miss MY geralt version. (in the game you can make him look a particular way, including a beard or mullet, etc.)

by the way pauly, who was that...
other witcher in the game, he originally was in the witcher 2 assassin of kings, the bald guy. he helped him before, but i remembered him specifically in the witch hunt game. i also look forward to seeing the other witchers if possible. man, if they can just lay off the politics a bit more id enjoy it. :D

lastly, here are a couple of cinematics for those interested...

the intro for the witcher wild hunt, the one where he sort of traces the steps jennifer took, was were he got his name 'SIR geralt of rivia', after being knighted for the battle of the bridge.

Sorry Jomari, I don't remember all that much from the second game, that was so long ago. There were a couple of other witchers in the third game too, including the older guy who was their teacher and whose name escapes me at the moment. But I don't think any of them have shown up in this tv series, yet, though I'm only on ep. 4.

Sorry Jomari, I don't remember all that much from the second game, that was so long ago. There were a couple of other witchers in the third game too, including the older guy who was their teacher and whose name escapes me at the moment. But I don't think any of them have shown up in this tv series, yet, though I'm only on ep. 4.

Vesemir. :D

so funny.

so true.

i have to be truthful tho, i wasnt a true fan of the series, and from a gamers standpoint, it was a pain to play. kinda like bioshock, you have one weapon on one hand, then magic on the other. there are certain monsters you have to use both to defeat them. but afterwards, it just started to be more enjoyable, despite dealing with the politics.

I was sick on Sunday, so i binged the entire series.

Overall, I liked the series. I think there were some issues, but being an OG nerd, I'm not not going to like it at least to some level.

My main complaint is that having NOT read the books or played the game, it was kind of confusing the way stuff jumped around time periods. It also wasn't especially good at exposition, so some of the lore wasn't especially obvious, e.g., the backstory on what a Witcher really is. Also, even the individual plot lines within each episode weren't always as cohesive/tight as I'd want. Also, with regards to the yellow eyes, I know i say him with them at some point in the series. I don't know if it was there all the way through, but at least for the last episode(s), they were yellow.

With all that being said, i'd give this a B/B-. Definitely worth a watch, but i'd like to have seen some changes.

Even with my background knowledge, I thought the time period hopping was confusing.

I was sick on Sunday, so i binged the entire series.

Overall, I liked the series. I think there were some issues, but being an OG nerd, I'm not not going to like it at least to some level.

My main complaint is that having NOT read the books or played the game, it was kind of confusing the way stuff jumped around time periods. It also wasn't especially good at exposition, so some of the lore wasn't especially obvious, e.g., the backstory on what a Witcher really is. Also, even the individual plot lines within each episode weren't always as cohesive/tight as I'd want. Also, with regards to the yellow eyes, I know i say him with them at some point in the series. I don't know if it was there all the way through, but at least for the last episode(s), they were yellow.

With all that being said, i'd give this a B/B-. Definitely worth a watch, but i'd like to have seen some changes.

i agree about that, and that somehow, they should have
some sort of way to distinguish what is when. only noticed this on episode 3, which i am on right now

big big thing im pissed about,

Triss Merigold is much much more prettier than the actress who was casted...

the-witcher-triss-merigold-1141920.jpeg

triss-merigold-witcher-3-jacket-850x1300.jpg

finished this, and although it was a spectacular series, i felt that the ending shouldve been done 2 episodes earlier.

i want more, but i kinda want a bit more improvement on it. good show, worth your time, just focus on figuring out which one is a flashsback and which one is not.

Yeah I just finished it myself. Agreed, it was good, acting and production were great IMHO, plot was an interesting development on the whole story. It was a little awkward at times, but no worse than any number of other first-season shows. I hope it continues.

I have not read the books or played the games, so I came to this with fresh eyes. We watched the first two episodes Friday night and the other six last night. Overall, we both liked it a lot and are looking forward to another season. Between now and then, I plan to read the books.

Back