• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Free TV Services, plus a Free TV

Couldn't you just hang something over the bottom ad screen so it wouldn't distract you?

This
But now that I think about it ... I pretty much have.

About the not watching TV thing. I can totally believe you.

I have Xfinity and was setting up my “favorites” in the app so that it would be easier to browse/channelsurf. And it occurred to me that there is hardly anything I care about even with all those channels. Maybe I’m just getting too old. If Bally Sports folds I’ll have even less reason for cable.

I don’t even really care all that much for streaming. Though I have been watching Corner Gas re-runs on Amazon/Freevee. And I did just get Netflix but only to watch a handful of standup specials and then cancel it in a month; it looks like there are 2 Nate Bargatze specials I haven’t watched, 1 John Mulaney, 1 Jim Gaffigan, and an episode of The Standups that features Dusty Slay. Maybe check out some other comedy specials. But I just can’t get into most of their shows. Took me YEARS to get through watching Bojack Horseman.

We are finding that we spend far more time listening to audio books than watching TV and a lot of the TV we watch is YouTube.

Sorry to say it, but I think it will find a market. Once upon a time, way back in the early '00s (if I remember right), there was a computer company that sold very inexpensive computers because they would display advertisements to the user. They weren't super popular, but some (who couldn't otherwise afford a computer or considered it a fair trade) went for it. Even today computers still come with software installed at the manufacturer because they were paid to include it. Or cell phones have that same crapware installed (which isn't always easily removable).

Sorry to say it, but I think it will find a market. Once upon a time, way back in the early '00s (if I remember right), there was a computer company that sold very inexpensive computers because they would display advertisements to the user. They weren't super popular, but some (who couldn't otherwise afford a computer or considered it a fair trade) went for it. Even today computers still come with software installed at the manufacturer because they were paid to include it. Or cell phones have that same crapware installed (which isn't always easily removable).

I don’t remember that computer, but I do remember NetZero which I think was similar in that you got free (or maybe discounted?) Internet service in exchange for ads.

I’m sure someone will try it. But I think TVs and soundbars are cheap enough that I‘d be super shocked if they were successful in getting enough users to stick.

I don’t remember that computer, but I do remember NetZero which I think was similar in that you got free (or maybe discounted?) Internet service in exchange for ads.

I’m sure someone will try it. But I think TVs and soundbars are cheap enough that I‘d be super shocked if they were successful in getting enough users to stick.
Some folks are so cheap every nickel that passes through their fingers retains their fingerprints. Enough to sustain a business? I don't know. I will say we do use that Pluto TV app (from the dude behind this idea), and we do find it decent if you're just wanting that feel of scrolling channels to find something mindless. Usually we end up watching the old game shows (Barker was indeed a sexist bastard).

It's the RyanAir model. No matter what they take away from their customers to justify piling in more passengers with lower prices ... people will buy.

I will say we do use that Pluto TV app (from the dude behind this idea), and we do find it decent if you're just wanting that feel of scrolling channels to find something mindless.

I prefer a more—how should I say?—“stimulating” television program, which is why I‘m glad Pluto TV has a dedicated 24/7 “Baywatch” channel. ;)

I prefer a more—how should I say?—“stimulating” television program, which is why I‘m glad Pluto TV has a dedicated 24/7 “Baywatch” channel. ;)
You sound like somebody who hasn't seen Holly in a french maid costume.

Rawr.

My Samsung tv has a 24 hr baywatch channel too.

Back