• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

A Brilliant Solution to Myth #491: CD Shaving!

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
I haven't had a good laugh like this in way too long. Enjoy!

(since receiving my $1,200 Lie-Nielsen block plane, and being a fastidious hand-tool aficionado, I shall attempt this soon by hand, and will report back with the results)
:mocking:

I haven't had a good laugh like this in way too long. Enjoy!

(since receiving my $1,200 Lie-Nielsen block plane, and being a fastidious hand-tool aficionado, I shall attempt this soon by hand, and will report back with the results)
:mocking:
im curious now, will this make engelbert humperdinck sound better than tom jones tho?

Well clearly the equipment he's testing with is not adequate to tell the super subtle difference between one set of bits from the other set of identical bits.

Shaving+marker = less stray laser light. Less stray laser light = more accurate tracking. More accurate tracking = less error correction. Less error correction = more accurate reproduction. More accurate reproduction = It sounds more like the recording was intended.

Makes sense to me. I used to have a badly scratched CD of Elton John’s “Madman Across The Water”. And one time I was listening to the song “Tiny Dancer” and you could just hear the CD player trying to deal with all the scratches. It played, but due to the error correction and interpolation, the player was guessing on a lot of the 0’s and 1’s. One of Elton’s lyrics literally was changed to “Hold me closer Tony Danza”.

Back