• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Acoustic Panel Placement

TKoP

I've got a room i can now setup as a listening room. Here are some dimensions:

QCWh6u8.png

The little black "nubs" are the electrical outlets. The one on the bottom left is where the cable/internet comes in too.

Other info
  1. The floor is hardwood
  2. I have a wool rug that I may be able to get from a relative
  3. I have 6 OC703 panels
  4. I'll be putting in a 2.1 system
  5. I will likely put a TV in there at some point
  6. The room is otherwise currently bare

I'd like to get input on where to put the panels and the best speaker placement for my Usher 2.5 speakers.

I think that's the relevant info -- but let me know if there is anything else that might be helpful to know.

Can you semi-block the sliding door or the regular door with a free standing panel?

I should note, my initial assumptions would be:
  1. Set the speakers on the left wall about 1' in
    • Not against the bottom wall since the door would be problematic - this would have been my preference otherwise
    • Not against the top or right side since the cable/internet is on the left wall and I would expect to use that connection at some point for video
    • Not against the wall directly for the port to be able to "breathe" and i thought the extra space helps with the reflections anyway
  2. Create an equilateral triangle with the speakers and sitting position
    • I think, but don't know, that the triangle should NOT be centered on the left wall
    • Help to prevent nulls and peaks?
  3. Sitting position should be 2' or more from the right wall
    • My understanding is that the bass gets bloated if your back is too close to the wall
  4. A panel should be put on the initial reflection points to the respective right and left of the sitting position
  5. A panel should be put directly behind each speaker
    • The speakers are ported, so i thought that was something I'm supposed to do
    • This also reinforces the LEDE principal
  6. The rug is assumed to handle the floor reflection
    1. As well as it can at least
  7. I'm not going to put anything on the ceiling
    • I'm not that motivated
So if my assumptions are all correct, I have a pair of panels that I can place someplace different. More against the wall behind the speakers for the LEDE stuff?

Can you semi-block the sliding door or the regular door with a free standing panel?

Yes, all the panels are simple full size OC703 panels wrapped in burlap. My idea was to use some sort of temporary hook to mount these to the sliding doors and walls.

that actually brings up another point -- i think i read something somewhere that having a 1" gap (or something like that) between the panel and the "wall" improves the panel's effectiveness.

You could easily make a little stand for the side panels making then free standing. That's what I did.

You could easily make a little stand for the side panels making then free standing. That's what I did.
Don't suppose you have a pic? I have an idea, but if you've already got something that works well, seems dumm not to mimic that option.

With regards to the extra pair of panels -- mount between the speakers on the back wall or on the outside? or maybe equidistant and not necessarily directly behind the speaker?

Thanks for the help.

I will try to look up a photo, but all I did was take a piece of 2x2 lumber and cut it in 8" lengths, treo power panel. Then I took a 3/4" dowel and cut it in 12" lengths, four per panel. Drill holes in the sides of the 2x2 blocks so the dowels slide in and are parallel and exactly 2" apart ( for a two inch thick panel), then slide the covered panel into the slot between the dowels.

Back