• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Acoustically transparent fabric

Deacon

Humble Servant
Ok so now that I have the basement finished structure-wise I now need to start getting the rest of the room situated. Part of that is installing my absorption panels. Currently my panels have blue fabric on them but I want to change that to brown to match the room color.

I have looked around at different places online and found several that sell acoustically transparent fabric but it seems to be prohibitively expensive.

Is there a relatively cheaper fabric that can be used without compromising the purpose of the panels?

You are covering absorbers.... ABSORBERS

You don't need transparent fabric, you need acoustically non-reflecting fabric. I recommend anything which is a natural fiber, like cotton, wool, linen, etc., and a relatively open weave.

I think I asked this same question many years ago, and ended up just covering mine with some twin cotton sheets. I used a low thread count, although I don't know if that would make a difference or not.

I have used sheets a number of times as they are VERY affordable and offered in all sorts of colors and patterns.

However, avoid artificial fibers or anything Sateen or Satin.

Deacon said:
Ok so now that I have the basement finished structure-wise I now need to start getting the rest of the room situated. Part of that is installing my absorption panels. Currently my panels have blue fabric on them but I want to change that to brown to match the room color.

I have looked around at different places online and found several that sell acoustically transparent fabric but it seems to be prohibitively expensive.

Is there a relatively cheaper fabric that can be used without compromising the purpose of the panels?
Go to any fabric store. You can buy yards of fabric dirt cheap. Sign up for a knitting class while you're there.

:)

Jeff

Flint said:
You are covering absorbers.... ABSORBERS

You don't need transparent fabric, you need acoustically non-reflecting fabric. I recommend anything which is a natural fiber, like cotton, wool, linen, etc., and a relatively open weave.

Since I was covering absorbers I thought the fabric needed to allow the sound to pass through it. Thus my thought on acoustic transparency.

I was making fun... no offense intended.

No... all you need is for the absorber to absorb, so if the fabric absorbs at some frequencies and passes sound at other frequencies, that's just fine. All that really matters is that the fabric doesn't block (which is rare) or reflect sound (which tight weaves and synthetic materials can do).

My old underwear absorbed absolutely no sound, believe me. And it's already the right color!
PM me your address, you pay postage. You're welcome!
:happy-smileygiantred:

Back