• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Akula continues to upgrade his home theater

Akula

Famous
With all the changes I'd made to my theater (new Marantz SR 6012 receiver, new Samsung 65" Q8f display), I was thinking the only other change I might consider was new speakers, but figured that would be a while out.

The wife was asking me what I'd like for Christmas (apparently, she had no ideas), and I mentioned that the only other theater thing I could look into would be speakers. So we went to one of the few remaining HT shops around here and did listening.

So when they're in, I will be getting some new Paradigms.
Front L/R: Monitor SE 6000
C: Monitor SE 2000C
Surround: Monitor SE Atom
Atmos in-ceiling: CI H65R

I'm keeping the Paradigm DSP3400 subwoofer. I figure it would cost a fair amount to do much better than that thing (not that it can't be beat, but why spend the scratch to change what already works really well).

While there's not a ton of stuff I do that uses Atmos right now, I figure that will only increase, and the rest of the speakers came in well under budget anyway. I had done a fair amount of comparing between the Monitor SE 6000 and the Premier line towers (next line up the range), and actually preferred the cheaper ones. In the few places where the Premiers may have had an edge, it wasn't one of those "wow, that's a lot better" differences- more like a "Meh, might be better, but it sure ain't 2x the cost better." I also listened to some B&Ws and Klipschs and just wasn't that into them.

If I'm lucky, they'll be in by Christmas.

So yeah... I just suck so hard.

Fun stuff!

With all the changes I'd made to my theater (new Marantz SR 6012 receiver, new Samsung 65" Q8f display), I was thinking the only other change I might consider was new speakers, but figured that would be a while out.

The wife was asking me what I'd like for Christmas (apparently, she had no ideas), and I mentioned that the only other theater thing I could look into would be speakers. So we went to one of the few remaining HT shops around here and did listening.

So when they're in, I will be getting some new Paradigms.
Front L/R: Monitor SE 6000
C: Monitor SE 2000C
Surround: Monitor SE Atom
Atmos in-ceiling: CI H65R

I'm keeping the Paradigm DSP3400 subwoofer. I figure it would cost a fair amount to do much better than that thing (not that it can't be beat, but why spend the scratch to change what already works really well).

While there's not a ton of stuff I do that uses Atmos right now, I figure that will only increase, and the rest of the speakers came in well under budget anyway. I had done a fair amount of comparing between the Monitor SE 6000 and the Premier line towers (next line up the range), and actually preferred the cheaper ones. In the few places where the Premiers may have had an edge, it wasn't one of those "wow, that's a lot better" differences- more like a "Meh, might be better, but it sure ain't 2x the cost better." I also listened to some B&Ws and Klipschs and just wasn't that into them.

If I'm lucky, they'll be in by Christmas.

So yeah... I just suck so hard.

Fun Stuff!

I could build you better speakers, but they'd cost more.

This thread is gonna need some photos. Until yours come in, these stock pics will have to do.

monitor-se-6000f.jpg

monitor-se-2000c.jpg

monitor-se-atom.jpg

ci-home-h65-r.jpg

Fun stuff!

Fun Stuff!

I could build you better speakers, but they'd cost more.

Yeah, there's definitely better out there. But I had a hard limit at about $3000... and I really didn't want to go that high. This kit is just a shade over 2K with tax included... like I said, the Premiers were a possibility, but I didn't feel like dropping another thousand bucks just for prettier enclosures (since I couldn't tell much difference). If I feel like spending more, I'll look into acoustic treatments eventually.

Congrats!
Be sure to post a few pics once everything is up and running.

That’s awesome. Remind us what they are replacing. Did you go to The Sound Room?

Yes, it was Sound Room. They’re decent folks, but I still miss Hi Fi Fo Fum.

The previous setup was all Paradigm too- Mini Monitors and a CC-370 up front, with Titans in the rear (all v3 vintage- think I bought them in 2002 or thereabouts).

Yes, it was Sound Room. They’re decent folks, but I still miss Hi Fi Fo Fum.

The previous setup was all Paradigm too- Mini Monitors and a CC-370 up front, with Titans in the rear (all v3 vintage- think I bought them in 2002 or thereabouts).
Congrats. I too had Paradigm Monitors I got around 2001. I have since gifted them to a friend. But they were a really good sound for the price

Congrats. I too had Paradigm Monitors I got around 2001. I have since gifted them to a friend. But they were a really good sound for the price

Yeah, it seems like the Monitor series has historically held down a really good spot on the price/performance ratio. There's better, but the law of diminishing returns will bite down hard.

Back