• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

And the most expensive channel bundled with pay TV is...

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
...ESPN, at $8/month. According to a recent BTIG survey, over half of all pay-TV subscribers would choose to dump it if they could recoup the $8. Interesting.

That's the problem with this bundled channel model. Customers really have little choice about the mega-spendy channels like ESPN... while it's nice to have from time to time, I'm not really sure I can say I get $96 worth of enjoyment out of the ESPN family of channels every year. In fact, I'd just as soon be able to subscribe directly to the game feed of the Cardinals (the one team I really follow with any loyalty)... I rather highly doubt that between the ESPN, Fox Sports, and regional Fox networks that the team and MLB is getting even $50/year worth of royalties out of us.

Take a look at ESPN'S financials and let us know how that's workin for them.

Towen7 said:

Found this.

ESPN Continues to Lose Subscribers

With 60% of their revenue coming from cable and sat, I guess there's more people going to "web TV" than I thought. Kinda hate it for them, but I'm not going back to paying $70 more a month to Dish to help them out either.

Yesfan70 said:
Towen7 said:

Found this.

ESPN Continues to Lose Subscribers

With 60% of their revenue coming from cable and sat, I guess there's more people going to "web TV" than I thought. Kinda hate it for them, but I'm not going back to paying $70 more a month to Dish to help them out either.

They're doing it to themselves. They have a ton of channels, which means they end up showing a lot of "sports" nobody is really interested in. When they DO cover a major sport, you usually notice nothing but gripes from the fan base because nobody really likes how ESPN actually DOES cover stuff. Fact is, they offer an expensive product most people don't really want or like. The only times I find myself watching them, it's because they grabbed a Cards game I'd MUCH rather be watching on other channels (ESPN likes to screw with start times too, so games that should have been afternoon ones end up late on the weekends).

All the while they keep signing expensive TV agreements necessitating further rate increases which the extort out of providers. I really think people would be interested in "no ESPN" packages if it would save that much.

I like ESPN's coverage of the actual event but all ancillary stuff is a little much. Too many of their analysts are trying to become their own brands and command huge salaries. I'm sorry but while I understand that guys like Buster Olney and Steven A. get more access to players I'm not willing to pay a bunch more for their "insight".

I agree about them doing it to themselves. I used to have the top 250 package with Dish, then dropped down to the Top 200. That saved me a little bit, but two-three years later I was paying for the same price as I was before. They do have too many channels, but it does come in handy if you're a football fan. Once the season is over, meh.

I would like a "no ESPN" package. I could cancel it after football season, then add it back at the beginning of football season.

If College Football dropped ESPN for their Bowl season......I would drop it in a heart beat. Also, I can't stay up for Monday Night Footbal (I did when I was young like you guys & drank beer........now I'm an old fart & haven't had a beer or cig in over two years).
Don't tell the wife but there are times an ice cold beer would be heaven.

Back