• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Another Gigabit E switch

The DirtMerchant said:
These things should be cheaper.

I know! I'm rejiggering my home network and can really use a 16 port switch. I'm sure there is. A reason that an 8 port is 50% more than a 4 port. But a 16 port is 200% more than an 8 port.

next thing we will have is the fire marshall telling us we cant use all those plugged in devices into all the power strips. So I have to use two extension cords from the same outlet to power two power strips. What is the difference? The 12 wireless mic receivers use under 4 amps of current if they are plugged in either way?

Unbelievable...I added a work VOIP phone to my office and then switched to Cable internet service causing some network connection backflips...I have to buy ANOTHER Gig E Switch.

Anyone have experience with TP-LINK or TRENDnet gear?
TP-LINK has a 8 port for $25 and TRENDnet has a 8 port for $35 on Amazon...

I have six gigabit switches, all are Netgear, and have had zero problems.

I have about 6 GigE switches as well. All different brands. It doesn't matter what you buy anymore. They are cheap commodities.

The DirtMerchant said:
Unbelievable...I added a work VOIP phone to my office and then switched to Cable internet service causing some network connection backflips...I have to buy ANOTHER Gig E Switch.

I bought this TP-Link 8 port switch last weekend at a B&M store but haven't had a chance to install it yet. I read a lot of reviews on Amazon and their metal-cased switches get very good reviews, much better than their plastic-cased models.

Hey, while we're on the subject, right now I have a 5 port switch in the basement next to the equipment rack for the HT and an 8 port at my original "home run" location about 20 feet away, neither is Gigabit. Is it worth the time and effort to replace these with one larger switch? They're definitely getting replaced with Gigabit...

CMonster said:
Hey, while we're on the subject, right now I have a 5 port switch in the basement next to the equipment rack for the HT and an 8 port at my original "home run" location about 20 feet away, neither is Gigabit. Is it worth the time and effort to replace these with one larger switch? They're definitely getting replaced with Gigabit...

With the prices I see for larger than 8 ports, I say just get two smaller one's.
Also, extra effort is always a PITA! :laughing-lettersrofl:

^That's what I'm leaning towards but just want to make sure the extra hop from the HT switch to the home run switch won't adversely effect future streaming requirements such as 4K content. I know it should be fine, and I have no choice but to utilize a second switch on the main floor, so I should just do it and stop over-analyzing.

Hops don't matter with these speeds. Latency doesn't matter for streaming media. What matters is raw throughput. If you want to 4K resolution Skype sessions, then latency matters.

I do recommend getting some Gig-E switches, though. If you are copying a large file, it makes a huge difference.

CMonster said:
The DirtMerchant said:

I bought this TP-Link 8 port switch last weekend at a B&M store but haven't had a chance to install it yet. I read a lot of reviews on Amazon and their metal-cased switches get very good reviews, much better than their plastic-cased models.

Just picked up the linked one. Was about to click the plastic version until I read this.
Thanks!

Well for a year now I've been hemming and hawing about running an ethernet cable from my great room Ht system to my guest bedroom where my modem is connected. This weekend finally broke down and had a 50 foot ethernet cable laying around and after installing it to my PS3 I ran the cable under my area rug and under the couch then behind a six foot oblong picture (to hide it) and across my guest room door frame along the top and secured down the back side of door frame where it can't be seen and secured to the modem in guest room (you can only see one foot of the cable but it's blue the same as my wall so you'd have to be actually looking to see it. Anyway I thought about it and decided to buy a Lynksys Ethernet five port switch and now have my PS3, my Appletv and Marantz preamp hooked up. My Vudu streaming went from wifi average of 7mbps (I'd get buffering every once in awhile) to now getting 15 Mbps average with no buffering). Pretty cheap 20.00 unit that works great.

The other benefit is now that those items are no longer on wifi my wifi for my tablets seems much stronger and I'm getting better wifi speeds. Should've done this a year ago but I'm lazy that and being out of work I have to find ways to occupy my time.

Only downside is I can't get my preamp to connect to Internet radio or Pandora. It can make the connection and tells me it's logged in but I pick a station and get an error or nothing happens as I get the buffering wheel and it times out but streaming media on PS3 or Appletv works great but when it comes to Internet audio on the Marantz preamp nothing. Oh well I can get intent radio via my Appletv and my entire CD collection is on iTunes so that'll do. Best 20.00 spent.

I got a few Powerline Network modules with integrated four port Gig-E switches in them that cover my switching needs in the living room, family room and other spots where I might want more than one port. I currently have enough ports on my router to cover my needs, but will need to add another switch when I add a NAS.

Back