• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Any opinions on Harmony 650 remote?

Kazaam

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitec...lver/9837565.p?id=1218181914598&skuId=9837565

I never used a Harmony 880 that I bought years ago. I never really took the time to properly set up activities, plus I hated the buttons. So I just kept using old MX-500 remotes, instead. But the two I have gone through are a little bit up. So I recently went on line and discovered that the universal remote industry seems to have died off in the last few years. No more new consumer level URC branded devices. Just a couple high end logitech-harmony ones and a Pronto that uses your iPhone. And a few holdovers from probably 5 years ago like the Harmony 650.

That said, the 650 has the looks of a hard button layout that I might like.

My equipment to operate would include...

TV
Cable box
Bluray player
5.1 Home theater receiver
And the ability to easily turn the receiver to an AUX input for wireless music streaming via Airplay or Bluetooth adapter.

I don't need it to access rarely used setup menus etc. But the basics. And how idiot proof is the remote to operate for technophobes.?

Thanks.

I've used the 650 for years (I'm on my second one), I like it very much. You'll need a computer to run the setup software (I use windows, dunno if they have a mac version). I think the setup's fairly easy, though I work with computers all day... You give it a list of your gear and "activites" that use combinations of the devices, and it does most of it. You can then go in and tweak particular buttons for functions that you want to have easy access to during various activities.

Glad to hear you are a fan, because there doesn't seem to be much else that catches my eye at the moment. I had originally hoped to find a sub-$100 URC r40, but alas it is discontinued and besides I can't help but to feel like maybe I haven't given activities based remotes a fair shake.

I don't think I'd have too much of a problem with the software. Though I'd certainly have to give it a little more patience than I did before to allow for possible fine tuning of any delays that might not be quite right initially. What I'm also suspecting is that part of the reason I got frustrated with the 880 was because it had more buttons for the color screen and my desire to clean those buttons up and still have every single little feature on it, but still looking like a good layout, was a desire that far outweighed my ambition level. Couple that with buttons that I discovered I hated with a passion and I just never used the 880.

But if I can follow through and not be overly picky with, say, a 650 then maybe it might work. It would almost certainly be better than my latest experiment of simply using the factory remotes that came with my tv/stereo/etc. having to use 3 remotes just to watch Mockingjay Pt.1 last night was a little annoyng.

That said...

Not sure I've yet earned the right to buy a new toy yet. Coming close, though. I just sent the morning in the hot and humid sun washing out the cat's litter box. Now if only I can get around to removing some road tar that spit up on my car, then I might be getting close.

:dance:

Kazaam said:
Now if only I can get around to removing some road tar that spit up on my car, then I might be getting close.

WD-40 is your friend. And do you have a Harmony 880 to sell?

Got two. They work fine. Yes, you can manage them on a Mac too.

The new Harmony management system makes like much easier- you can manage multiple remotes on the same account. A year or two ago they went from standalone software to web, back to software, then back to web. Pain in the rear keeping it straight, but now it seems to work fine.

Akula said:
A year or two ago they went from standalone software to web, back to software, then back to web. Pain in the rear keeping it straight, but now it seems to work fine.

Guess I'll need to revisit; site didn't play well when I upgraded my Oppo and added my Roku. Thanks!

CMonster said:
And do you have a Harmony 880 to sell?

Sure, why not. If someone can make use of it before it becomes completely outdated. If you're interested, I'd do $20.00. Mostly to cover the cost of a medium sized USPS flat rate shipping box. And maybe it'll leave me with just enough left over to buy a burger at McDonalds.

That said...

I don't know how reliable the rechargeable battery is anymore. I never really used the remote, but having been stored away years leaves it as a question mark.

The remote and charging base look excellent. Fwiw... I just plugged it in and charged it just long enough to test the IR to see if it that part worked, and it did. Didn't try the the USB port for setup stuff, but if you're interested I will try that out too.

Well I bought a 650 the other day. Seems decent as far as button layout. It's always difficult to get a true feel since Best Buy always has their remotes locked down. So you never know for sure until after its out of the package. Anyway,,, All I really care about with this remote are the basics. And so far it works pretty good. Might go back in and tweak the delay slightly, but that'd be about it.

The remote arrived today and I'm starting to set it up now for the home theater. I initially just wanted it as a backup for the 880 we have in the living room (it's been dropped a few times and has seen better days). I figure I might as well utilize it in the HT until I either come up with a more robust solution down there or it's needed in the living room.

I have the aforementioned living room 880 and an 890 in our bedroom (same as the 880 but includes RF). I've found that just the basic setup takes care of at least 80% of what you'll need. Over the next couple weeks you'll probably tweak it a few times but that's it unless you get a new device. Speaking of devices, I recommend to not bother messing with the button setup for each device - just concentrate on the activities.

Thanks again,

Back