• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Anyone ever heard these things?

Dentman

For some reason these speakers keep popping up on my radar. Seems to be a "cult" like following with them.
rps20190406_093646.jpg

I am a huge fan of Dahlquist speakers, though I've not heard that model.

While I've always respected their designs and they easily got the most out of the drivers they used, I always felt they refused to move forward to the latest advancements in driver technologies.

I am a huge fan of Dahlquist speakers, though I've not heard that model.

While I've always respected their designs and they easily got the most out of the drivers they used, I always felt they refused to move forward to the latest advancements in driver technologies.

Got asked off-line about this comment, so I thought I'd elaborate...

Around the time Dahlquist was at their prime, they were using loudspeaker driver technology which was already on the verge of being obsolete. Things like foam surrounds on cone woofer, which were very popular for awhile, were already on their way out due to their short lives, manufacturing inconsistency, and higher compliance than the newer tech using butyl rubber surrounds which were also higher performing. While on the one hand Dahlquist was working with a well known entity where the industry was still learning the pros and cons about rubber surrounds, on the other hand even the most moderate grade rubber surround speakers turned out to be higher quality in the long run. The same applies to the tweeters they used.

However, Dahlquist applied the best design philosophies one could imagine to the acoustics and crossovers in the their speakers - with more ideal baffle shapes, higher quality and consistent crossovers, and such, they really had something going for them and many serious music listeners could tell. They solved the problem of aesthetics related to stranger baffle shapes and offset cabinet sections by mounting an attractive oversized grill in front of the whole speaker package. It kinda made them appear like small flat panel speakers, but they sounded much better.

Back