• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Anyone here collect old classic remotes... like as a hobby?

Kazaam

When you think about it remote controls have come a long way over the years. From those old mechanical clicking TV remotes to today's highly customizable universal remotes. And even when some of these things have long since past their prime you almost hate to think of them as trash, you know? Or maybe that's just the nostalgia in me talking, eh?

Re: Anyone here collect old classic remotes... like as a hob

I have quite a few but not as a hobby - I just hate to throw out something I spent good money on.

Not as a hobby. The URC model I like and have been using for years is no longer manufactured, so I picked up a few used ones on Ebay for a fraction of the original cost. Now I have spares if mine ever craps out.

Is it that URC that could do all those super secret discrete codes? If so I used to own the Radioshack version of it. It was really useful in the pre-Harmony days.

I have remotes boxed away that Ive no idea anymore what they were used for.

Kazaam said:
Is it that URC that could do all those super secret discrete codes? If so I used to own the Radioshack version of it. It was really useful in the pre-Harmony days.

The URC-200. Does macros, custom programming, etc. I'm still using the original ones I bought 6 years ago for 3 systems in my house. Don't know if I'll ever wear them out, but got the backups just in case.

why on earth would anyone do this????? :?

Razz said:

It's Kazaam! He probably has Hanson stickers plastered all over the remotes! :happy-smileygiantred:

Razz said:

People collect all sorts of weird shyt, why not remotes?
Case in point:
Lydia's AOL CD's . Apparently she has over 2500. WTF??
aol-disc-collecting.jpg

Huey said:
Razz said:

It's Kazaam! He probably has Hanson stickers plastered all over the remotes! :happy-smileygiantred:

Penguins, actually.

51sX2Hrdz6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here's the thing... I've got an old Pronto TS-1000 that I don't want anymore.

It's pretty useless now. You can't even connect it to modern computers for programming since it requires a serial connection. But a decade ago it was awesome! Fully programmable. A real touchscreen. A true pioneer in the universal remote control industry. And, the way I see it, if ever there were a museum dedicated to remote controls, having a Pronto TS-1000 would be mandatory. I guess I'm just testing the waters to see if I could give it to a forum member. Hoping someone here would appreciate it as old tech. And not just turn around and sell it. Not that it's worth much these days.

Kazaam said:
Here's the thing... I've got an old Pronto TS-1000 that I don't want anymore.

It's pretty useless now. You can't even connect it to modern computers for programming since it requires a serial connection. But a decade ago it was awesome! Fully programmable. A real touchscreen. A true pioneer in the universal remote control industry. And, the way I see it, if ever there were a museum dedicated to remote controls, having a Pronto TS-1000 would be mandatory. I guess I'm just testing the waters to see if I could give it to a forum member. Hoping someone here would appreciate it as old tech. And not just turn around and sell it. Not that it's worth much these days.

That's a cool thing to do! :text-bravo:

mcad64 said:
Razz said:

People collect all sorts of weird shyt, why not remotes?
Case in point:
aol-disc-collecting.jpg
I kept every one I got in the early days, didn't really know why. Then I got the bright idea of glueing every two back-to-back (shiny side out) and drilling a small hole by one edge, and then dressing a Christmas tree with white twinkle lights and a bunch of these "CD ornaments".
1) I've never actually bought a Christmas tree for my own home, being a professional bachelor,
2) Now that I'm agnostic, the odds have dropped even more.
I've got about 9" (heh) worth of AOL disks, and I'm trying to come up with another idea/project to use them with. The only things I've come up with so far is to cover my Saab with them (again, shiny-side out) and add a bumper sticker reading "Suck THIS, Beiber!" or covering one wall of my bedroom (bet I could get in a magazine with that one).
Any others?

Kazaam said:
Huey said:
[That's a cool thing to do! :text-bravo:

Thanks! Don't suppose you'd want it?

No, but thanks for the offer. Somebody will take you up on this.

Botch said:
mcad64 said:
...People collect all sorts of weird shyt, why not remotes?
Case in point:
aol-disc-collecting.jpg
I kept every one I got in the early days, didn't really know why. Then I got the bright idea of glueing every two back-to-back (shiny side out) and drilling a small hole by one edge, and then dressing a Christmas tree with white twinkle lights and a bunch of these "CD ornaments".
1) I've never actually bought a Christmas tree for my own home, being a professional bachelor,
2) Now that I'm agnostic, the odds have dropped even more.
I've got about 9" (heh) worth of AOL disks, and I'm trying to come up with another idea/project to use them with. The only things I've come up with so far is to cover my Saab with them (again, shiny-side out) and add a bumper sticker reading "Suck THIS, Beiber!" or covering one wall of my bedroom (bet I could get in a magazine with that one).
Any others?

Back in the day when the S&V forums worked, I remember Voodoo posting a link to this guy who was collecting as many of those AOL discs as he could.His intent? once he got a million of them, he was going to have them all shipped back to AOL. After reading the above posts, I wonder if that guy ever done that. Heck, I wonder if AOL is even still operating. They've seem to have fell on the back burner in recent years and don't seem as popular as they were back in the days of Dial up.

back to remotes........

I still have my old "remote of the gods" Marantz RC2000 mk II. Boy was that thing a battery hog.

marantz-rc2000mkii-kq1-640.jpg

Yesfan, mine is stuffed away in a kitchen cabineet. Don't ask me why it is in a Kitchen cabinet, I have no idea.

Back