• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Anyone know of "cat-resistant" sturdy speaker stands?

Kazaam

I don't yet have a cat, but am considering (maybe) getting one sometime this summer. I'm also thinking about redoing some of my home theater: possible new tv and TV stand. And since my current Boltz speaker stands would look out of place next to anything non-Boltz, I guess I'd be needing new speaker stands, too.

Looks like maybe the Sanus Steel Foundations 26 inch stands are fairly heavy and have a big base. Any users of that model?

Or any other models I should look at? I'd be using sticky blu-tak to adhere the speaker to the top shelf. But I'd like the stand itself to be sturdy enough that it lessens the chances of it toppling over should a mischievous cat decide to jump on it.

Oops... Forgot to mention my speakers. They're B&W DM303s. So maybe about 13x8x8 inches.

Batman said:
:text-+1:

I copied someone else's (Yesfan?) format on here using 4" PVC, particle board, black paint and playground sand.
I think it cost me less than $50 for two stands. I also put one screw through the speaker plate and into the bottom
of the speaker. Hasn't fallen over yet *knock on wood* and it has been almost 7 years, though I had one close call where it started wobbling
with my kids running around and he bumped into it.

Kazaam said:
But I'd like the stand itself to be sturdy enough that it lessens the chances of it toppling over should a mischievous cat decide to jump on it.
Jump on top of the speakers on it? I think our resident caxpert Pauly has done something that works. If my memory serves, stuffed animals were placed on top. :animals-cow: :animals-pig: :animals-fishgreen:

^--- Yup. But my speaker "stands" are subwoofers...

Years ago I needed a set of stands for a pair of Koss CM/1020 - which are themselves already a good-sized floorstander.

I drew up some plans and took them to a metal / welding shop. They produced what's shown below. All I needed to do was paint them (black in this case) and put some felt circles (as feet) under the bottom plate. For extra security, I put a sheet of non-slipped "shop" rubber between the speaker and the top plate when there's a CM/1020 on it.

The vertical piece is hollow. There's a hole drilled in the top plate that connects to it. I used a funnel to fill that section with fine sand. A little banging with a rubber mallet and it was pretty compact. A small piece of black electrical tape covers the hole. So it's rock solid, and "gong" free. They're also VERY heavy!

The steel plate is 3/8". The bottom plate is 17" x 14" and the top 15" x 12". The square tube is 4" x 4" x .375W and 1' 3" long. Obviously you can adjust the dimensions to suit. For stability I'd recommend that the base plate be bigger than the top plate - like mine is. The welding shop charged me $193.50 - all in (2006).

That's my DIY suggestion.

Jeff

ps. Of course, you could also cure the cats problem with two small pieces of lead. (That's a joke folks - I have two of my own!)

Attachments

• Speaker Stand 1 (Medium).JPG
    Speaker Stand 1 (Medium).JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 1,086
  • Speaker Stand 2 (Medium).JPG
    Speaker Stand 2 (Medium).JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 1,086
Stuffed toy animals, eh... Isn't it bad enough if I end up getting a cat?

:teasing-tease:

Some interesting ideas though. Not sure I'm willing to go the DIY route, though doesn't surprise me that it might be best.

BDSC-8502-600x600.jpg

There you go. Designed for people with cats.

^ Is that for speaker or cat?
I think this is what Kazaam is worried about.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64hkbU76XAk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz5pAweTcgw[/youtube]

If there's a unwanted place they (cat) scratch, put a dab of Tabasco on that area.

Rope

I hear one of these works wonders against cats.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 1,031
Matt, that breed produces one of the biggest poops among dogs. Usually bigger than human's. :shock:

Possibly. Also, you can't use those typical pooper-scooper plastic bags to pick up, you need the standard size construction shovel.

DIYer said:
Possibly. Also, you can't use those typical pooper-scooper plastic bags to pick up, you need the standard size construction shovel.
I had long ago concluded, from all of your posts, that you do not know shit from Shinola.

Then this thread came along.

I apologize. I was wrong.

You obviously know your shit!

:)

Back