• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Anyone like buying and showing art?

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I've always loved art, like paintings, artistic photography, sculpture, pottery, and mixed media pieces.

Since we tend to share our interests, I thought I'd share some of the art I've collected here.

I thought we had an art thread around here at some point... I'll see if I can find it.

Hmmm... maybe not. Might've been way back before the move off of S&V...

Anyway, here's a repost of mine from one of the generic threads, this is one of the first things you see when you walk into our house as it faces the front door directly:

Went to the Baltimore Artscape ... found this cool piece made entirely out of wood, with a little mother of pearl (the waterfall). The picture doesn't really do it justice, but you get the idea. Wife and I instantly loved it. Can't really tell scale from the pic, but it's about 3' tall.

DSCF7500-X2.jpg

This is a piece by a local Austin artist I just purchased today which combines water color and photography. It is on canvas and is about 48" wide.

Art_2017_RedBuds_Canvas.jpg

This is a painting my grandmother made in the 1960s when she was studying in Belgium. She was a rancher's wife from an isolated area of NM, but she wanted to be more than that. So she studied art and painted all the time. I managed to get two of her works after she and granddad died. I took the more "avante gard " piece the rest of the family didn't understand.

It is about 24" wide inside the matting.

Art_1969_ALFlint_001.jpg

I picked this up about a month ago, it is a photograph taken by an artist in Georgetown, TX, of wildlife and the sky in Death Valley and printed on a sheet of Aluminum. It is about 18 inches wide.

Art_2017_DeathValley_Photo_Aluminum.jpg

I picked this up today at a Celtic festival. The photographer was born in Scotland and lived in Ireland for years before moving to Austin. This photo is from Galway, Ireland, and show no fewer than 35 empty kegs - he claims there were just as many wrapping around the corner in the distance. A tribute to our dead friends. It is printed on a stretched canvas and is 24 x 36.

Art_2017_Galway_Photo.jpg

Another more abstract price by my grandmother, Ada Lee Flint. She was forced into a strange new medium for this one and while she didn't like the results, she kept it framed and on the wall in her studio until she died. I reframed it when I received it after her death. It is about 20 inches wide at the matte.

Art_1969_ALFlint_002.jpg

This is a drawing of a lady I picked up at an antique store for just a few dollars. We don't know who drew it, but it has a date of 1922 on the back of it. It is about 14 x 22.

Art_2006_Drawing_Parchment.jpg

This is a huge painting I purchased off the wall at the coffee shop on the town square in Georgetown, TX, to hang in my dining room where both of my ex-wives had put huge mirrors. I felt a big painting would be way better than a mirror. I like the colors. It is about 5 feet wide and 4 feet tall.

Art_2017_Georgetown_CoffeeShopPainter_AbstractBlue.jpg

This is a little painting my mom's mom made after she retired from 40 years working as the post master in the little town my mother grew up in. She took on painting as a hobby to meet people and fill her time. She was never a master or creative genius, but her little paintings are nice enough and look good in the right locations. This is of a little country adobe house not far from where I grew up in Las Cruces NM. It is about 14 inches wide.

Art_1980_GrandmaHawley_AdobeHouse.jpg

I picked this up when I went to Albuquerque this past summer to see my Uncle on his 90th birthday. It struck me as very intriguing from both the content as well as the style of the artist. I assumed he lived in the NM mountains, but as I was checking out I was told he lives in Amarillo and most of his work is commissioned. Once I knew where he lived I recognized the landscape style as being from the badlands area near where my mom and dad grew up on Route 66 in NE New Mexico and it became clear that it invoked the same dreary beauty that my grandmother Flint's paintings from the same areas did. That region makes on both struck by the awesome beauty and depressed from the desolation and isolation. This painting is about 36 inches wide.

Art_2017_AmarilloArtist_badlandsTrees.jpg

One more from my mom's mom, my grandma Hawley. She painted this a few years after the adobe house painting above and her skills are clearly improved. A simple still life. This is about 18 inches wide.

Art_1982_GrandmaHawley_StillLife.jpg

This is a huge painting I purchased off the wall at the coffee shop on the town square in Georgetown, TX, to hang in my dining room where both of my ex-wives had put huge mirrors. I felt a big painting would be way better than a mirror. I like the colors. It is about 5 feet wide and 4 feet tall.

View attachment 7286
Those are all cool, but I especially like this one.

Ok here is a photo converted and printed that the wife took out in WV.

Attachments

• IMG_1698.JPG
    IMG_1698.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 4
And here is some of Mothers quilting.

Attachments

• IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1700.JPG
    IMG_1700.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1701.JPG
    IMG_1701.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1702.JPG
    IMG_1702.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1703.JPG
    IMG_1703.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 3
I've always loved art, like paintings, artistic photography, sculpture, pottery, and mixed media pieces.

Since we tend to share our interests, I thought I'd share some of the art I've collected here.
Two questions, does the art have to be original to be considered art? Secondly, by showing it do you mean, is it out in plain view in my house?

Two questions, does the art have to be original to be considered art? Secondly, by showing it do you mean, is it out in plain view in my house?

Answer 1: Generally, yes. For me, at least, I don't really consider copies of well known pieces mass produced in the millions to count as proper "art", but that doesn't mean it isn't lovely to look at and have in my home. I have a huge Klimt oil on canvas copy of "The Virgins" installed in one room because I simply love Klimt. But I am not going to make a big deal about having it or share a photo of it here because it is mass produced consumer art.

Answer 2: Generally, yes. Some people collect more costly art and will share it with local galleries and loan it to exhibits from time to time, but that isn't as common as just filling your home with new original art and prominently displaying it for all of one's visitors.

But, if you love art, regardless of what it is, I would love to hear about it and see how you are showing it.

Back