• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Anyone listen to 2-channel music

While adding effects to audio (or video for that matter) are a matter of personal preference, I don't alter 2 channel material with one exception. I have two professional reverbs which feed the side and rear channels of my 7 channel array with appropriate time delays. I can route the fronts through these reverbs to add fake ambience which sometimes benefits classical music like organ pieces. For the vast majority of listening I don't do this however as it also screws up the natural imaging width and depth on the original recording.

Being a huge fan of surround sound, in my main HT more often than not I will use PLIIx to "enhance" 2.0 music sources when the whole system is fired up. I find that it always has a net positive effect on my listening experience. It's so enjoyable / enveloping to me (in a natural way) that I frequently have trouble staying awake through a full CD!

However there are occasions when I'll just use the 2.1 sub-system that I've also incorporated into that room - almost always when listening to vinyl.

Jeff

My home theater is for movies and TV. All my 2-channel listening is done on dedicated stereo systems with no processing or tone controls.

I don't alter 2 channel material with one exception.

Same here, but with different source material. I have a couple "chanting monk" type CDs that sound wonderful going thru Yamaha's "cathedral"-type DSP settings, and the legato of the voices blend easily so my ears can't pick up anything "artificial", as they could with, say, a wood block tap. Would probably sound good on the couple pipe organ recordings I have too, but haven't tried it yet.

The reverb setup does NOT work well with vinyl; any ticks or crackles on the surfaces go boinging around the room!

The reverb setup does NOT work well with vinyl; any ticks or crackles on the surfaces go boinging around the room!
Somewhat similar for PLIIx in that ticks, crackles and hiss seem to become the surround sound - or are at least more noticeable.

Is that perchance a phase thing - in that it's similar to the cues that PLIIx looks for with normal music in order to create the surround channels.

Jeff

ps. I should have been more specific earlier: I use the PLIIx Music mode for music. I know it's obvious, but maybe some units don't have both Music and Movie modes.

Is that perchance a phase thing - in that it's similar to the cues that PLIIx looks for with normal music in order to create the surround channes
Yes, anti-phase is one of the cues that these systems use, and ticks are vertical modulation on vinyl. That's also the cues that vinyl noise reducers use.

Yes, anti-phase is one of the cues that these systems use, and ticks are vertical modulation on vinyl. That's also the cues that vinyl noise reducers use.
Totally by coincidence, today I needed to clean up two album files that were rips of vinyl that has never been released in digital format. They were probably the most snap, crackle, and pop files I have ever heard. It only took a minute to find out about, download, and install a free (21 day trial) copy of ClickRepair. In order to clean up the files I had to first convert them to a format that CR can handle. Took a couple of minutes to do the FLAC and MP3 conversions (the albums were not in the same format to start) to WAV using other software that I already have, and then another minute to run them through CR (a drag and drop and one click process - the processed files get placed in the same folders as the originals - with the same files names except with a "-cr" added at the end). I used whatever the default CR settings were and the results were outstanding. After the conversion it's easy to swap between the original and processed file, and I gotta say that 99% of the problems were removed without noticeably affecting the music. The tracks went from unlistenable to collection-worthy. After that it was a matter of renaming the files by removing the "-cr" and then converting them to 320MP3. Through this process some of the individual track metadata was lost (but not the song names) and after importing the two albums into my collection using iTunes it took a few minutes to restore the missing metadata. (It was mostly just a matter of copying the artist's names and album title and then pasting them.) While this sounds like a lot of work it really only took 20 minutes or so for both albums, start to finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Using Neo:6 or PL II?
Something else I forgot to mention...

If the source material is DTS 5.1 then I use Neo:6 to bring it to 7.1 - not PLIIx Music in that case. I prefer Neo's sound in that one instance.

Jeff

Back