• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Aren't we past this? Crazy cable claims!

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
From a description of a 3.0M cable which sells for $2,194.75 per cable (not per pair)...

"All audio cables are directional. The correct direction is determined by listening to every batch of metal conductors used in every [pretentious brand name] audio cable. Arrows are clearly marked on the connectors to ensure superior sound quality. For best results have the arrow pointing in the direction of the flow of music data. For example, NAS to Router, Router to Network Player."
I mean, come-on!

Directional? They "listen" to every batch of metal conductor to determine the ideal direction.

Now for the punchline....

This is a CAT-7 Ethernet Cable.

By the way, I shared this product with a few of the leaders of the standards committee which writes the standards for Ethernet cable, TIA's TR-42 committee (I was recently the CTO at TIA for 18 months). They questioned this over and over and didn't laugh, at least not at first. They were VERY concerned this cable would even meet the specification for CAT-7 and the manufacturer could be called to the table for false marketing claims. HA!

They then told me point blank that the cheapest cable on the market which truly complies to the specification would work as well as any other cable. The only reason to pay more is for reliability, warranty, toughness, special applications, or some special feature not involving the electrical performance (for instance some costlier models can handle sharper angles).

In some instances cables are directional; this is used in some balanced interconnects where the shield is connected to one end only. Of course this is a specific instance and I'm sure this doesn't enter into the rationale of "audiophile" cables.

In some instances cables are directional; this is used in some balanced interconnects where the shield is connected to one end only. Of course this is a specific instance and I'm sure this doesn't enter into the rationale of "audiophile" cables.

Of course, my proclivity for mockery caused me to forget that there are specific cable designs which are directional in nature. But, to be fair, directionality is defined by the design of the cable in the interconnect circuit, not from "listening" to the metal to see which way sounds best.

I have an active HDMI cable (Redmere) that literally doesn't work if it is connected in the wrong direction, but that is purely because of the circuitry involved. Directional Ethernet cables? That just makes me giggle.

Talking about directional.....Sometimes my cables tell me to turn left at 300ft, then my destination will be on the right. I see the neighborhood McDonald's to my immediate right and think "how in the fuck did I just get here" as I was on my couch the whole time this transpired.

I mean seriously......how the hell did I get here?? There is no wheels on my couch let alone anyplace for me to insert a key to start a motor. Talk about baffling. I'm flipping out here.........

Oh look....A unicorn................

Seriously though ... How small can their pool of potential customers really be?
Only a small subset of world even has the disposable income to spend thousands of dollars on a network cable. Only a small subset of that would care much about audio quality. Only a small of subset of that subset would have digital media stores on a network device.

My guess is that these could/would only be sold to by re-sellers who's clients don't care about what a system costs as long as its "top of the line".

I'm soooo disappointed...

girls-motorcycles-920-11.jpg

John

Back