• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Bass Trap

jamhead

So, what's the better bass trap...

1) 4" of OC703 straddling a corner with an air gap behind (24" wide face on the trap)
2) Superchunk of OC703 cut into triangles (24" wide face...17" sides to corner).
3) 4" of OC703 next to a corner with a 1" air gap behind - where one side of the trap would fit into the corner.

I have three wall-to-wall corner bass traps I'm going to build (I have one done...a superchunk OC703).

Cost is always an issue. I've looked into Roxul Safe n Sound, which supposedly works well (denisty is 2.5lbs) for superchunk bass traps but isn't rigid at all...so may not work for "standard" absorbers. One trap, behind a door, will have to be next to the corner (Description #3 above).

The rigid panels may be more flexible in that I could use them for other treatments if needed.

Or, would it be better to have paper in front of the bass traps...similar to FRK?

#2 is the better bass trap because it has a massively higher quantity of absorption material.

The distant next best is #1.

#3 isn't really a bass trap.

Thanks Flint. Anything I can do behind a door?

The entry door to the room (where the hinges are) is 6" away from the back wall. I'd like to utilize that space when I close the door for listening....

I have 6" of OC703 straddling the 2 front corners, 4' tall. Plan is to build another 4' one and stack on top of the bottom one to fill the corner from top to bottom. From what I have read, 6" of OC703 with 6" of air gap is equal to 12" of solid material.

Flint, do you agree with this?

jamhead said:

The entry door to the room (where the hinges are) is 6" away from the back wall. I'd like to utilize that space when I close the door for listening....

One must do what fits the room. Just because other solutions are more impactful, that doesn't make other solutions pointless.

Go ahead and put the panel on the wall behind the door, just be sure to use symmetry on the opposite side for this type of panel. A open face panel of Fiberglass is a broadband absorber and will impact the midrange and treble aspects of that corner as much, or more, than the bass.

A better solution is a proper resonant panel trap in that corner, but those are harder to build.

heeman said:
I have 6" of OC703 straddling the 2 front corners, 4' tall. Plan is to build another 4' one and stack on top of the bottom one to fill the corner from top to bottom. From what I have read, 6" of OC703 with 6" of air gap is equal to 12" of solid material.

Flint, do you agree with this?

I recommend extending the panel to the ceiling!

It is not identical to a solid "superchunk" style bass trap, but it is still very very good. The difference is not huge.

Flint said:
jamhead said:

One must do what fits the room. Just because other solutions are more impactful, that doesn't make other solutions pointless.

Go ahead and put the panel on the wall behind the door, just be sure to use symmetry on the opposite side for this type of panel. A open face panel of Fiberglass is a broadband absorber and will impact the midrange and treble aspects of that corner as much, or more, than the bass.

A better solution is a proper resonant panel trap in that corner, but those are harder to build.

Thanks Flint. When you say the "opposite", do you mean along the same wall or the corner diagonal? The reason I ask is I was going to place a superchunk in each. None of them will go to the ceiling, but about 18" from the ceiling.

If my option is to do something, but not be symmetrical, should I proceed?

Flint said:
jamhead said:

Although, I could build one based on Ethan Winer's instructions for a low-frequency membrane panel.

Just purchased enough fiberglass to complete three more superchunk bass traps....will give me bass traps in each corner to go along with 4" broadband along the back wall and 2" on side walls.

I'm excited.......I think this is going to create a BIG sonic improvement in an area I need most. Hopefully tighten bass...and give me more headroom to boot.

Woo-hoo!

jamhead said:
I think this is going to create a BIG sonic improvement in an area I need most.
svsound_pb12-nsd2.jpg

Just sayin'...

^ Damn straight! With these new traps of his, he's going to want and need something a lot beefier than that girly water heater he's got now. And a big, black, manly box with two 12-inch drivers for just a few hundred dollars is just what the doctor ordered.

:happy-smileygiantred:

We'll see after the traps are up.

Although, I do admire your salesmanship....great opportunity to pounce...and you even remembered my manly sub I currently have.

Most impressive.

Well, I finished most of the bass traps in the room, so thought I'd post a few photos of the project for something a little different. I'm prepping my bonus room for a projector, but it is and will always be, a 2 channel listening room. So, all thoughts on the room itself is audio first...

I was happy with the sound of my room, but, you can never have enough bass trapping, so I ordered about 250 bucks worth of fiberglass and went to work. All fiberglass is OC703. Two of the traps were "superchunk" types, and the other, which is behind a door, is a 6" trap. Two traps in the back of the room are about 7' tall, and one behind my audio rack is only about 3' or so.

I obtained wood from work, so that was free. I initially make the top and bottom supports with the top being a shelf (for superchunks).

Basically, using 1x2's on top of the triangle of plywood, which was cut 1/2" longer than the fiberglass that'll be used.

Total: 4 of these:

So, I got delayed with my posts as I had trouble logging in.

So, I ended up with a superchunk on the two front corners of the room, smaller ones only 3-4ft high due to the room shape, one in the rear corner approximately 7' high, and one 6" bass trap behind the door in the other rear corner of the room.

Mounting the shelves behind my rack:

Mounting the shelves in the rear corner (middle section is a brace made of 1x2"s to minimize compression of fiberglass due to weight.)

Time to cut the OC703....17" long by 24" wide.

And now, to stack the fiberglass within the shelves:

Back