• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Biology of why some folk physically react to music

I don't get chills or goosebumps, that I can ever remember, but I have become more sensitive to loud music and music at concert volumes is sometimes not pleasant for me anymore. Im getting old.

I don't get chills or goosebumps, that I can ever remember, but I have become more sensitive to loud music and music at concert volumes is sometimes not pleasant for me anymore. Im getting old.

It is extremely likely you have enough hearing damage to cause sensitivity. Very common problem.

Ha! When @saldog visited awhile back I said something like "songs that make me feel bad make me feel good" while we were listening to music. Quote from the article linked above:

They found that playing "sad" songs counter-intuitively could make people happier.

I've also experienced chills, goosebumps, and tears during listening sessions.

It is extremely likely you have enough hearing damage to cause sensitivity. Very common problem.

That's honestly what I figured it was. Ear Plugs at EVERY concert now for this guy.

Yeah, I am one of those guys where music really moves me emotionally.

A week or so ago I was channel surfing during commercials. I always go to 572 first (MTV Live). There he was, Joe Walsh playing at an Eric Clapton Crossroads festival that I have seen many, many times. I got goosebumps and showed Barb. She said "are there other people like you, that love music so much"; I said "of course, it is just part of some of us!".

I was writing another post and was reminded that one of the reasons I truly hate listening to some rap/hip-hop/gangsta music is that the anger and fury expressed by the music makes me literally (and I do mean literally) want to start punching walls and starting fights. I could never understand why that sort of music would gain such wide appeal when, for me at least, the experience of listening to it created anger on such a level that a physical desire to cause damage and chaos. I get the desire to vent frustrations, especially in young men who are both sexually and socially frustrated - even feeling unloved and invisible. But some of that stuff, even when I hear it in the distance, makes me start to sweat, the blood to rush out of my limbs, and the fight or flight instinct kicks in - and I am one of those who leans towards fight over flight.

Back