• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Bottlehead Crack amp kit

walls

Well I FINALLY finished my Crack amp and started to put it through its paces. My first impression.... WOW. This thing sounds really good. REALLY. GOOD. And I haven't installed the Speedball kit yet, figured I would run it plain Jane for a while so I could compare them.

The amp is a really simple build, I think just about anyone could do it.

I'm gonna figure out how to get pics on this damn site and do a comparison of the Crack vs. WA2. My very first thought is that the WA2 sounds better, but is it $1000 better? That's the real question.

^For photos, you need a photobucket account or similar. Upload your photos to the photo site and then link to them here.

Very cool. That'd be a fun project, not that I need any more of those. I still have a speaker tube amp (300B tubes) that I build but never got around to enclosing... sigh.

Yeah, photobucket or the like is good for pics. It's technically possible to upload them here directly, but we have a limited amount of space so it's much better, and easier really, to use an external photo host.

I have built several Bottlehead kits over the years for myself and freinds. Decent bang for your buck. Glad you like the sound and you get to say "I built that."

Wardsweb said:
I have built several Bottlehead kits over the years for myself and freinds. Decent bang for your buck. Glad you like the sound and you get to say "I built that."

Do you have any ideas for a follow up build? I was thinking about maybe a nice tube amp for speakers but nothing nice comes up when I search for one.

I already have another Crack kit coming to build for a friend. Lol.

walls said:
I was thinking about maybe a nice tube amp for speakers but nothing nice comes up when I search for one.
Ahem...
PaulyT said:
I still have a speaker tube amp (300B tubes) that I build but never got around to enclosing... sigh.

Actually it was, I now have two friends that want me to build for them.

It really is quite a nice amp for the HD650's. Hoping to do a real write comparing it to my WA2 soon.

The more I listen to this amp the more I like it, it's a crazy good bargain. I'm not going to roll tubes and may not even install the speedball upgrade. I think I'm just going to enjoy it as is.

That's cool. Which headphones are you mainly using with it?

650's and the T1's. It really shines with the 650's, not sure if I really like the T1's with it as much as the 650's. The T1's have pretty much a completely different sound sig and I'm still getting used to it plus my WA2 is my bedside rig and that's where the T1's have been used the most, and with the WOO the T1's are fantastic.

Back