• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Canton Chrono DC 509.2

Dentman

I thought a few of you might be interested in my thoughts on my new speakers, the Canton Chrono DC 509.2 towers. These are German made speakers, and from what I've found out they are held in fairly high regard across the pond.
They have only a very small presence here in the states. When new several years back they sold for around 2k a pair. Being a model year old I got them for $995.00 a pair. The only reason I ordered them was out pure curiosity. Without question there were many other safer options i could have gone with.

Sound and vision did a review of the smaller speakers in this series, the 507 DC ( https://www.soundandvision.com/floorloudspeakers/308canton ) which have one less woofer then mine. The review comes close to echoing how I feel about the bigger brothers. With one important point I feel he failed to mention.

When I first heard these speakers I wasn't sure I was going to keep them. It wasn't until about 2 weeks into ownership that I really began to enjoy them. They have a what in spite of how it sounds would be viewed by many as a sizable flaw. These speakers hide nothing. If you play poorly recorded music these speakers highlight the flaws more then any speaker I've ever owned. Bad recordings sound real bad. Not sure if it's a German thing but these speakers are very analytical for lack of a better term. They are sterile sounding, far from warm.

Now on to the good. These speakers, I hate to use this term but it instantly came to mind when firing them up, seems to be lighting quick with transients. They come across effortless with complex music. Also the tweeter to midrange transition is very nice for a speaker in this price range. I've not heard any "ringing" that many aluminum alloy drivers are said to suffer from, nor have I picked up on any real "standing wave" issues with these drivers. However I'm far from an expert.
When you play a high quality recording the Canton 509.2 DC's realy spring to life. You hear even the smallest details in the music. I have not been able to play them loud enough to bring on any ear fatigue what so ever with a good recording. However with a bad recording my threshold volume is less then on other speakers I've owned. Bass performance is not as good as would have thought for two 7" woofers and a 7" midrange. It is however solid and accurate. Useful at reference levels down into the lower 50's, high 40's .

I want to call these speakers bright but really they are not. They just simply have a sterile, cold, type personality that hides nothing and reveals nearly everything. This speaker is a good buy and I'm happy with them but they are not for everyone.

Anyway just my thoughts for those interested.

That's cool! I didn't even know Canton was available in the USA these days.

I should add the bass performance is more then likely very limited due to my large open room. The room its self is 16x20 but it's also open to the entire second floor and to an open stairwell to the first floor.

Also I do all my posts from a cell phone so I keep them as short as I can. I could spend an hour just typing on the midrange performance, which is where these speakers struggle with poorly recorded music, yet shine with the good stuff.

Back