• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Case Against 1" Dome Tweeters: Guttenberg Proves his Ignorance

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar

I will not argue that Magnaplaner speakers are awful or not as good as those with dome tweeters, but the moronic logic behind Steve's argument against small dome tweeters demonstrates his lack of knowledge. If this is how he actually thinks, I suddenly get why I almost never agree with his reviews or articles.

He made a comparison to an actual instrument making the high frequency sound to a speaker reproducing it. With that logic, he would want a 42" speaker to reproduce the bass drum used in some classical recordings. Or, he would need a 24" tweeter to reproduce the treble from a high quality jazz drummer's ride cymbal. Have you ever heard a 24" tweeter?

Basically, what matters is the quality of the acoustic energy being sent into the room via the transducer. That's it. One of the finest performing and sounding tweeter designs ever demonstrated and nearly never used is the plasma tweeter which consists of an electrical arc, or plasma, being fluctuated by the audio signal. It is extremely efficient, omnidirectional, and almost completely distortion free. The problem with it is the arc creates ozone, so the few speakers which ever used the design came with a refillable nitrogen or helium tank which released the gas over the arc to ensure there was no oxygen near it. Not very practical. But, that arc was teeny-tiny and yet it was the best performing and for many the best sounding.

He likes planar speakers, which is fine. But I absolutely refuse to accept the notion that planar speakers are inherently better at treble than a good dome, or ribbon, or horn, or even some cone speakers. Everything about what he said is insanely wrong.

I am hoping, for goodness sake, that he is trying to stir controversy rather than expose his stupidity. I want to think that a guy who has successfully made a career out of being a journalist, reviewer, and opinionator on audio systems for as long as he has isn't this stupid.

I am hoping, for goodness sake, that he is trying to stir controversy rather than expose his stupidity. I want to think that a guy who has successfully made a career out of being a journalist, reviewer, and opinionator on audio systems for as long as he has isn't this stupid.

My thoughts exactly.

I saw that on YouTube and laughed. Slot of what Gottenburg says is an absolute joke!

Steve used to own Magnepan 3.6's, so surprised he didn't mention Magnepan's True Ribbon Tweeter which they used. Which are considered much better in sound quality than his current Quasi Ribbon Tweeter. The True Ribbon's have a much better dispersion, but have problems with compression and being fragile. Magnepan tries to compensate with fuses, also Steve seemed to have gone a downsizing spree awhile back.

Ribbons just like domes have problems with resonance's which you can seen in measurements in frequency response charts and waterfall charts, electrostatic speakers I believe have even more problems in that area. Currently I still have some True Ribbon Tweets in my desktop MiniMags, I have to watch the volume so as not to blow a fuse. However the planer bass being less impactful keeps my neighbor from banging on our shared wall, otherwise I might be using JBL's 305LSR.

I think my current main system speakers JBL 4367's, annular tweeter which is a compression driver and horn loaded. Surpasses the ribbon tweeters sound quality and it has no compression, crazy dynamics, no fuses.
Though the big ribbons do sound better standing up and when moving around the room.

Over the years I've tried several times to read articles written by Steve Guttenburg, but they have never captured my interest and/or seemed very subjective. Par for the course...

Steve Guttenburg the actor, currently has a minor recurring role in Ballers. On HBO as a hotel billionaire, though it took me awhile to recognize him. Which also stars Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock.

Back