• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

CD Cases Center Speakers Vibration = better sound??

Snake Doctor

I have my center speaker sitting on what I guess you would call a TV stand, my components (prepro, amp, DVD) in it and the TV is mounted on the wall. It looks like an open faced piece of furniture. I was told that if I put plastic CD cases under my center speaker it would improve the sound. The reasoning is with the center speaker sitting on top of the stand there would be vibration which would distort the sound, even though it would be sight. Putting the CD cases under it the plastic cases would absorb the vibrations, thus improved sound.

I know that sitting tower speakers on spikes anchors them and reduces vibration, I am not so sure I buy into the cd case theory. So I come to my panel of experts to see if there is any validity to it and if so do you have cd cases under your center speakers.

The CD case thing is 100% pure BS.

MoPads are a good idea. Even the little stick-on rubber feet would be an improvement.

I use de-ionized Poptarts. Move the center speaker at least 15 feet away, then use a compass to align the Poptarts to the Earth's magnetic field according to your location.
I find the Brown Sugar/Cinnamon ones ensure an upper-bass clarity that is absolutely stunning! :eek:

Botch said:
I use de-ionized Poptarts. Move the center speaker at least 15 feet away, then use a compass to align the Poptarts to the Earth's magnetic field according to your location.
I find the Brown Sugar/Cinnamon ones ensure an upper-bass clarity that is absolutely stunning! :eek:

HOKEY SMOKEY!! I have the exact same setup as you do. Freaky stuff man! :bow-blue:

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :music-listening:

Poptarts are so 2012. Toaster Strudels are what all the cool kids are using these days.

Get with the times, you luddites!

Zing said:
Poptarts are so 2012. Toaster Strudels are what all the cool kids are using these days.
Along with their Beats 'phones. :teasing-tease:

When I still had my Klipsch towers, an old member from the S&V forums suggested adding more polyfill (stuffing for pillows) to my cabinets. I did and instead of an improved punchy bass response, the treble and midrange seemed to be more detailed and cleaner. Since getting my Klipsch bookshelfs, I haven't revisited that mod, but I may. The polyfill is cheap and if it's not too my liking, it's nothing to take it back out of the cabinets. I don't have the Mopads, but I do have pieces of the rubber matting you see for kitchen cabinets between my stands and speakers. I've not done any A/B comparisons with/without, but I don't have any money in it either so no worries.

As for the CD cases, that seems like BS to me as well. I agree with the others on that. That's right up there with the green marker on the edge of a CD mod to make CDs sound better (anyone remember that??).

Which is why I use a green marker on my CD cases before I stuff them under my speakers!

:)

Jeff

Yesfan70 said:
When I still had my Klipsch towers, an old member from the S&V forums suggested adding more polyfill (stuffing for pillows) to my cabinets. I did and instead of an improved punchy bass response, the treble and midrange seemed to be more detailed and cleaner. Since getting my Klipsch bookshelfs, I haven't revisited that mod, but I may. The polyfill is cheap and if it's not too my liking, it's nothing to take it back out of the cabinets. I don't have the Mopads, but I do have pieces of the rubber matting you see for kitchen cabinets between my stands and speakers. I've not done any A/B comparisons with/without, but I don't have any money in it either so no worries.

As for the CD cases, that seems like BS to me as well. I agree with the others on that. That's right up there with the green marker on the edge of a CD mod to make CDs sound better (anyone remember that??).

:text-tmi:
LOL - I thought it was BS as well. Then I checked on mopad and got a lot of hits on mopeds and decided it was right up there with poptarts. Not one to give up I kept searching and found mopads!! So they angle up 8 and 4 degrees as well as angle down 8 and 4 degrees or you can order flat.

So how do you know which to try and do they really work or should I just go with the CD cases because both are BS.....which I tend to lean toward. Seriously, if you have good equipment do you need cd cases, mopeds or mopads, or mopods????

Snake Doctor said:
So how do you know which to try and do they really work or should I just go with the CD cases because both are BS.....which I tend to lean toward. Seriously, if you have good equipment do you need cd cases, mopeds or mopads, or mopods????

Honestly, I don't believe you, or I, or anyone here could hear a difference; although I'd bet that a center speaker sitting on an empty plastic box (a design that was atrocious from the beginning) could easily cause the box to buzz, at the right frequency.
You mentioned tower speaker "spikes" in your OP; I stuck mine in a plastic box and just set my speakers flat on the carpeting; they are now "sorta" "free-floating", rather than "acoustically-coupled" to my wooden floor under the carpet (which shakes when I walk around, sneeze, or fart violently) but again, I doubt I or anyone else could HEAR a difference in speaker performance. :twocents-mytwocents:

I am a HUGE fan of Mopads, or similar copycat products. Isolating a vibrating speaker from a stand, cabinet, or floor almost always improves the sound because the speaker is free to move naturally and that reduces mechanical energy reflections which are never a good thing. A good absorbing isolation product, like very soft rubber, sorbothane, foam or similar general is a good thing - assuming the gear, speakers, room acoustics and such are all of decent quality, or better.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I love my mopads and have them under my center channel, under my side surrounds and even under my amp sitting on my SVS subwoofer. They are fantastic at isolation.

I am a HUGE fan of Mopads, or similar copycat products. Isolating a vibrating speaker from a stand, cabinet, or floor almost always improves the sound because the speaker is free to move naturally and that reduces mechanical energy reflections which are never a good thing. A good absorbing isolation product, like very soft rubber, sorbothane, foam or similar general is a good thing - assuming the gear, speakers, room acoustics and such are all of decent quality, or better.
So you're saying that physically decoupling the two systems is a thing that can only help and never hurt? Makes Mopads seem like good engineering practice.

Back