• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Center Channel

Mr.6

Hey everybody!

I currently have a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s as a left and right channel. I am using a Studio 20 as the center.

I have been contemplating purchasing a CC-690 to replace my Studio 20, but am wondering if it is worth it.

Would I notice a difference? Better or worse? Is it worth it?

Thanks!

Here is my opinion based on my experience. I tried the identical speakers all around, but in my basement HT I found the centre could not handle the load. I went out and got a dedicated centre channel and was much happier. Purists will scoff, but hey, luckily I'm not a purist !! :happy-smileygiantred:

What do you hope to accomplish with your change? Is there currently a glaring weakness that you want to improve? Do you feel there is 'something' missing with your current setup?

From experience I can say that having identical speakers all around is great! Looks like you are trying to accomplish the same thing I did when I got identical speakers all around. The only one different is the center channel and it uses the same tweeter and bass driver as the other speakers so it matches.

That CC-690 has the same tweeter and drivers as your Studio 100's so it will match them flawlessly. I am sure it would 'blend' with the 100's better but that thing has a hefty price tag. Only you can answer if it would be worth it but I am sure it would be an improvement in your over all experience.

Deacon said:
What do you hope to accomplish with your change? Is there currently a glaring weakness that you want to improve? Do you feel there is 'something' missing with your current setup?

From experience I can say that having identical speakers all around is great! Looks like you are trying to accomplish the same thing I did when I got identical speakers all around. The only one different is the center channel and it uses the same tweeter and bass driver as the other speakers so it matches.

That CC-690 has the same tweeter and drivers as your Studio 100's so it will match them flawlessly. I am sure it would 'blend' with the 100's better but that thing has a hefty price tag. Only you can answer if it would be worth it but I am sure it would be an improvement in your over all experience.

That is what I keep asking myself. Will it be an improvement? Am I missing something?

When I read reviews and what others say on the forums, is that I will see a big improvement.

I always thought identical speakers all around would be best but I am questioning that now.

Identical speakers will be your best option but your question is will it be worth it. That is why I asked those questions. If you are happy with the performance of the Studio 20 then you may not feel justified spending that kind of money just to 'match' up your front array.
If you are really anal retentive about these things and having the Studio 20 being the sore thumb bothers you then the price for peace is worth it.

If you think the Studio 20 is lacking and that diminishes your enjoyment of the theater then it is worth it to upgrade.

The CC-690 should be a pretty substantial improvement but only you can determine if it is 'worth it'.

Deacon said:
Identical speakers will be your best option but your question is will it be worth it. That is why I asked those questions. If you are happy with the performance of the Studio 20 then you may not feel justified spending that kind of money just to 'match' up your front array.
If you are really anal retentive about these things and having the Studio 20 being the sore thumb bothers you then the price for peace is worth it.

If you think the Studio 20 is lacking and that diminishes your enjoyment of the theater then it is worth it to upgrade.

The CC-690 should be a pretty substantial improvement but only you can determine if it is 'worth it'.

I think I'm in a position where I will have to pay to learn. It will be interesting.

Now I have to find one.

Thanks for your help.

Yeah, we all knew where this was headed anyway. We all have a sickness and there apparently is only one cure for upgraditus...more upgrades!

No, you will not notice any difference in performance. The only way to accomplish Audio Nirvana is to send me the Studio 100's and I will send you a pair of Studio 20's that will perfectly match your center channel speaker. :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred:

BTW, because I am an Ambassador of Goodwill, I will pay for the shipping both ways. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I sincerely hope you appreciate my sense of philanthropy. You cant get that on all audio forums.

I think Deacon hit the nail on the head with "only you can decide if it is worth it or not".

Is there any chance you could demo the cc in your room? Re-calibrate and test drive that puppy and then you will know for sure.

Randy said:
I think Deacon hit the nail on the head with "only you can decide if it is worth it or not".

Is there any chance you could demo the cc in your room? Re-calibrate and test drive that puppy and then you will know for sure.

No chance of auditioning one. Paradigm discontinued their Studio line of speakers. I found a used one that I might pick-up in January though.

The CC-690 V5 in piano black is a tuff speaker to find.

Mr.6 said:
Randy said:

No chance of auditioning one. Paradigm discontinued their Studio line of speakers. I found a used one that I might pick-up in January though.

I would be pretty comfortable buying one without hearing it cause you already have the same tweeter and midrange drivers in your 100's. If you like their sound the timbre matching should be the same in the CC-690. Their just horizontal instead of vertical.

Deacon said:
Mr.6 said:
Randy said:

I would be pretty comfortable buying one without hearing it cause you already have the same tweeter and midrange drivers in your 100's. If you like their sound the timbre matching should be the same in the CC-690. Their just horizontal instead of vertical.

I am comfortable buying it as well.

There is a whole bunch of people discussing the horizontal vs vertical aspect of a center speaker. Lobing issues and stuff. But I think that would depend on the size of the room.

FWIW I have listened to a Studio 100 / CC-690 combination and thought it sounded extremely good at the time.

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
FWIW I have listened to a Studio 100 / CC-690 combination and thought it sounded extremely good at the time.

Jeff

I hear things like that quite often. Which is what made me go down this path. Like Deacon said upgraditis. Is there medication for that?

Mr.6 said:
JeffMackwood said:

Jeff

I hear things like that quite often. Which is what made me go down this path. Like Deacon said upgraditis. Is there medication for that?

There is no cure, but there is treatment. Generally the treatment comes at the reduction of your savings account. It is weird though, because as your savings account becomes healthier the symptoms of upgraditis become worse again.

The CC-690 is a beast. I have also heard the CC-690 and Studio 100 combo and with enough power it is impressive. If you like it and you can afford it and you can get it for what you consider to be a reaonable price and you wanna try it get it. I longed for this combination for some time until I reserved myself to keeping my Studio 40, 20, Studio CC combo.

If you don't like it you can dump the CC-690, that is a very popular line of speakers.

6 -

First, I assume you've perused through this thread because of the similar nature, right?

Second, how far away from the center channel is your listening position?

Third, and final assumption, the amp that currently drives your center would also drive your new center, right? What is that amp?

Mr.6 said:
Randy said:

Google "Paradigm CC 690 v5 and kijiji "and see what you get. This is about 10 kms from my house. Guy seems to be selling his whole system. Only thing that puzzles me is that his location is the local hospital as far as I can tell.

mcad64 said:
Here is my opinion based on my experience. I tried the identical speakers all around, but in my basement HT I found the centre could not handle the load. I went out and got a dedicated centre channel and was much happier. Purists will scoff, but hey, luckily I'm not a purist !! :happy-smileygiantred:

So what you are saying is that your main stereo speakers are incapable of handing a normal center channel signal? Sound they were already deficient for the task.

Zing said:
6 -

First, I assume you've perused through this thread because of the similar nature, right?

Second, how far away from the center channel is your listening position?

Third, and final assumption, the amp that currently drives your center would also drive your new center, right? What is that amp?

Zing,

Right.

12 feet away

Anthem MCA50

mcad64 said:
Mr.6 said:
Randy said:

Google "Paradigm CC 690 v5 and kijiji "and see what you get. This is about 10 kms from my house.

Guy seems to be selling his whole system. Only thing that puzzles me is that his location is the local hospital as far as I can tell.

This guy also had an ad on Canuck audio mart. I tried to contact him but he never got in touch with me. I just tried again through kijiji, hopefully it works.

Thanks for the heads up!

Back