• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

CMonster Condo HT

CMonster

We've hired an awesome company called Studio Build to redo our fireplace, spiral staircase, and construct the home theater. They have little experience with the latter but do have an experienced contact they've worked with before and a willingness to do what it takes to get the job done correctly. One thing we're struggling with is the three large windows in the space. I'd love to do a room-within-a-room and just frame a new wall in front of them but I think we need to have access to them in case one breaks or there's a water leak (the building is around a 100 years old). I'm thinking maybe we make that the screen wall, put the screen on hinges so it can be flipped up (saw this on AVS), and come up with a way to mount acoustic panels that could somewhat easily be removed. I also like the idea of angled side walls but if we have the screen on the window wall that'd be difficult as one of the windows is very close to the existing side wall. Anyway, here's the initial layout they drew up just to get something down as a starting point (the TV and concession stand aren't happenin' ;) ):

condo_ht_01_zpsh8rsdfcm.jpg

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated...

EDIT: All my pics went to shit because of photobucket so I'll just leave this one of the current state here:

cvinfig_ht-jpg.3091654

Last edited:
With the removal of the existing wall, will the resulting room be virtually square? What will the final dimensions be?

Zing said:
With the removal of the existing wall, will the resulting room be virtually square? What will the final dimensions be?

Don't worry about that - I'll make sure the dimensions aren't total shit. The wall at the top that currently gives a 3' hallway can easily be changed. Plus we still haven't nailed down how far we're willing to go (read: pay) for the best isolation possible.

The door location looks problematic for putting the screen on the window wall. You could build "plugs" for the window that can also serve as acoustic panels.

Towen7 said:
The door location looks problematic for putting the screen on the window wall. You could build "plugs" for the window that can also serve as acoustic panels.

Yeah, I don't like the door location either. We'll be meeting with the architect this week to discuss those initial plans.

Is that 15 feet, or so , long or wide?

If so, you can do this. but don't put the sofa against the wall. Pull it forward a few feet and if you think you'll be sitting too close to the TV, get a smaller TV. The quality of the sound will be significantly better, and by that I mean massively and beyond on comprehension better, if your head isn't mere inches from the wall.

Basically, put the sofa centered, left to right, in the room and about 2 feet, or so, from the wall behind it. Then calculate how far you will be from the TV and get an appropriate sized TV. Then place the speakers and subs for best performance. This will ensure the best sound, better surround performance, and a clearer, more dynamic sound in the room.

I know it makes the room seem even smaller to go that way, but it will be worth it. My HT is 14 x 17 and I put the TV on the 14 foot wide wall and the sofa is about 6.5 feet from the TV and nobody thinks my room is too small or the TV too close. Our long lost friend, Snowman, did a similar thing in his small HT.

A small rant: Why is it that when people hear "theater" they think small TV but popcorn machine and concessions? :angry-banghead:

I'm a little worried about the dimensions, also. When I saw 228 sq. ft., I was wondering how they're getting there and since 15x15=225 sq. ft., I had an idea how they were getting there. Is that sink staying there? (I assume it is but that dashed line for something to do w/ the concession stand makes me ask.) Either way, I would put the door into the theater at the back right corner. The question would be whether or not to put the entrance into that bathroom in the theater. I would think you probably wouldn't want that from a function standpoint; so, that prompts the question of whether or not another entrance to the bathroom is possible.

John

yromj said:
A small rant: Why is it that when people hear "theater" they think small TV but popcorn machine and concessions? :angry-banghead:

I'm a little worried about the dimensions, also. When I saw 228 sq. ft., I was wondering how they're getting there and since 15x15=225 sq. ft., I had an idea how they were getting there. Is that sink staying there? (I assume it is but that dashed line for something to do w/ the concession stand makes me ask.) Either way, I would put the door into the theater at the back right corner. The question would be whether or not to put the entrance into that bathroom in the theater. I would think you probably wouldn't want that from a function standpoint; so, that prompts the question of whether or not another entrance to the bathroom is possible.

John

We originally wanted the door to the bathroom moved so it was accessible directly from the main hallway and we had no intention on keeping that sink. We'll be meeting with them later this week to discuss. I'm wondering if part of this design has to do with all of the fire sprinkler heads that are in this area - apparently they had to move one at another job site and it was $2k to move it one foot. :scared-eek:

We really only have one neighbor to worry about disturbing and they're below us. I also need to keep the sound of traffic out of the room. Those are my main concerns. Again, I'd love to do a room-within-a-room but don't think I can totally barricade off those windows.

AndySTL said:
Do you have a pic of the room that you can post?

It's tough to see from the photos since there's a wall that needs to come down but here are some pics of the space:
f20b097ab26009e385aae7f0a3ba670cl-m20xd-w640_h480_q80.jpg

f20b097ab26009e385aae7f0a3ba670cl-m21xd-w640_h480_q80.jpg

And a crude drawing of the entire floor plan; we're looking at the media room and stupid kitcheny space:
condo2_zpscx9wlw75.png

Have you considered demoing the entire area and reconfiguring the bathroom space there. Perhaps even go so far as to put a closet down the stairs in to the foyer area or a smaller footprint for the bathroom & closet to gain more sq footage for the HT. If you plan on being here for the long haul and the HT is a high priority concerning performance, nothing would be off the table if it fit the budget. Just don't forget storage for the archery target.

Is there a reason you don't want to use the larger "rec area" for the HT?

PaulyT said:
Is there a reason you don't want to use the larger "rec area" for the HT?

Once the wall is removed the HT area will be similar in size. The "rec area" also has a utility room in it that's pretty noisy when the HVAC system is running and there are a couple other things that prevent it from being as blank of a slate to work with as the back corner we're looking at.

Gotcha.

Other possibility is to pull a Flint and use the master bedroom as the HT. :laughing: Who needs a lot of space when you're asleep?

Is that a portal to another dimension in the hallway between the master bath and rec area?

Towen7 said:
Is that a portal to another dimension in the hallway between the master bath and rec area?
:laughing-rolling: it's a whirlpool you ass!!

I think those windows are gorgeous and would personally not do anything destructive to them / cover them up "permanently."

There's gotta be some way to have them covered when the theatre is in play, and open when not.

Unless you're using a projector / screen combo, absolute blackness is not needed.

Custom fitted black-out blinds? Material-covered metal blinds (to reduce sound reflection AND prevent light ingress)?

Just brainstorming here.

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
I think those windows are gorgeous and would personally not do anything destructive to them / cover them up "permanently."

There's gotta be some way to have them covered when the theatre is in play, and open when not.

Unless you're using a projector / screen combo, absolute blackness is not needed.

Custom fitted black-out blinds? Material-covered metal blinds (to reduce sound reflection AND prevent light ingress)?

Just brainstorming here.

Jeff

I agree with Jeff on this. Those windows are amazing and should not be hidden most of the time.

Here's what I would do...

Use foam-core boards to make a perfect fitting filler for each window and cover the front and back with decent acoustic foam, like the egg-crate stuff you can get almost anywhere. Make the finished product about 4" thick, and simply place them in the windows for those moments when absolute high end sound and focus on the content you are watching or listening to is what matters to you. Then, the rest of the time put the acoustic foam windows fillers in a closet or under the sofa or bed.

Flint said:
JeffMackwood said:

Just brainstorming here.

Jeff

I agree with Jeff on this. Those windows are amazing and should not be hidden most of the time.

Here's what I would do...

Use foam-core boards to make a perfect fitting filler for each window and cover the front and back with decent acoustic foam, like the egg-crate stuff you can get almost anywhere. Make the finished product about 4" thick, and simply place them in the windows for those moments when absolute high end sound and focus on the content you are watching or listening to is what matters to you. Then, the rest of the time put the acoustic foam windows fillers in a closet or under the sofa or bed.

If we do that, how much effort should we put into sound-proofing the rest of the room to avoid totally pissing off the neighbors directly below us?

Back