• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Comcast change

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
Comcast/Xfinity changed their web page recently. On the one hand I didn't like the change; they made each "channel line" wider (but not showing any additional info) and I can no longer see all my "Favorites" on one screen, I now have to scroll once. Oh Woe is Me. :roll:

But, I just noticed something else: when I click on a program on the Guide on my computer, there's a "Watch on TV" button; after setting it up (maybe 15 seconds) I click on that button and my TV switches to that channel. Not a World-Changer, but kinda neat!

Other than the first time "neat" factor, is something like that useful?

Comcast and others (notably my employer) are busy adding features that combine the computer and TV. Are these functions that people actually use more than once? I think they are all going the wrong direction. Personally I don't have a desire to control my TV from my computer, they are in different rooms. Even the phone/tablet apps are limited becusue they cant control the other components in my system. I do, however, want to access live and recorded TV content on the computer/tablet/phone instead of solely from the STBs.

Its useful because I have my computer in my living room/ "HT", I use the Comcast webpage to "see what's on" (don't use the program guide in the newspaper anymore), and once I see what's on, I can just click on it, won't have to reach over and pick up my Harmony to change the channel. By my rough calculations, over the next 20 years this should add at least 47 minutes to my life! :mrgreen:

It would be even more useful if I had the DVR version of Comcast's cable box; just scroll thru the channels over the next day or week, and click on the "Record" button for each of the shows I'd wanna watch later. But I was too cheep to go that route.

I would think this would be very helpful on a tablet. I know where you're coming from, T7: Let me know when I can click on that program and my TV/projo, receiver, and set box all jump on and show me that show (paused until I get my beer ready). It's a start, though.

John

I have a Uverse app that lets me browse the channle guide from a phone or tablet, swicth any TV on the network to that channel, and have full DVR control from the phone/tablet.

I just never, ever use it. Maybe I should.

I use Comcast app to control TVs/ Dvrs, and a Squeezebox Touch app on my tablet. So much for the Harmony One.

Rope

I have used the Dish app on my tablet at home a couple of times, but it was out of sheer laziness. I remember one night I was watching MNF in the theater and wanted to turn it on an pause it in the bedroom so I used the app for that instead of walking thru the house and doing it.

The app for my Yamaha reciever gets used quite a bit because its so much better for browsing media than the onscreen menus, but that's another thread.

John

Back