• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Comic Books & Graphic Novels

Batman

Staff member
Famous
It was just a matter of time until a thread like this got started and since I'm just a tad biased....

If you're a avid fan or looking to potentially get into comics let's hear about some must-reads

To get things kicked off I'll start

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Watchmen

Both are graphic novel benchmarks that were statement stories and heavily reflected the era in which they were written.

The Road to Perdition and A History of Violence are both graphic novels which spawned very good movies and I'm sure there are others....

as much as a comic book reader as i was, whats the main difference from a comic book and a graphic novel?

i second on dark knight, one of the best reads (but need at least some background reading on batmans character), but id like to also include...

Alex ross'
- Kingdom come
- Shazam! : power of hope

Wolverine's movie was based on a favorite of the series i used to read, but i completely blanked out on which one. It was in the 90s...

Another is

Weapon X

Another favorite from the 80s-90s

Infinity Gauntlet.

Im also a big fan of

Lobo and Dredd, just to throw that out there.

I'm not big into comics, I admit. But I LOVED Gaiman's Sandman series, both for the art and the stories. Have most of them in the original serial comics, except for maybe the first series or two which I have in graphic novel format, as the serials were hard to find at the time (when I was in college).

I have Watchmen, will order the Dark Knight Returns.

Jomari , more often than not, a graphic novel is comprised of monthlies and crossovers that culminate in a major event for the character(s). Later on the series is put together in trade paperback form or hardcover or both...

Is there another link for the Wolverine story you're referring to? It looks like an incomplete wiki page when I click it.

When I had a weekly subscription in the early 90's at my favorite store I was picking up EVERTHING Batman, and mixing in Spider-Man (especially the Todd Mcfarlane stuff), along with Wolverine and X-men. For a 20 something YO it was just getting too expensive and I cut back to just Batman and then when I realized how many books I hadn't read that I owned, I went cold turkey. I buy hardcovers almost exclusively now along with statues and collectibles...

Thanks for the clarification on the differences. i honestly didnt differentiate them, and it just dawned upon me that there became a difference when i was growing up.

Batman said:
Is there another link for the Wolverine story you're referring to? It looks like an incomplete wiki page when I click it.

here you go,

http://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-Chris-C ... 0785137246

this is another great comic series, again from frank miller,

http://www.amazon.com/Frank-Millers-Ron ... pd_sim_b_5

I have to admit tho, frank millers artwork isnt my favorite, alex ross is. :happy-smileygiantred: but his storylines are absolutely amazing. i often wonder what wouldve happened if he dealt with spidermans storyline as much as whatshisname did (the one who killed off gramma)

anyways, at work, i wish i wasnt. i didnt own most of the comics i read. i was lucky to go to a private catholic school, and often than not, my fellow geek friends would lend them to me, provided i know basic comic handling (of course i did)...

i kinda gave up on work here at work...

i remembered another great timeline when i was reading comics growing up...

Secret wars.

anyone remembered the beyonder?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyonder#Secret_Wars

Beyonder_(Earth-616).gif

Like most kids of my generation, comic books formed an integral part of my early reading experience, and the love for such remained for many years. I eventually stopped (right around university) but have always had a fondness for the medium.

I somehow managed to protect four Xerox boxes full of them from my housecleaning mother, and they've been tucked away safely for decades ever since. Just the other day I opened one up (labelled "superheroes") and reminisced while thumbing through old copies of The Hulk, Batman, Superman, Daredevil, The Avengers, The Flash, Xmen, Luke Cage - to name but a few. I know that there's a bunch of Sgt. Fury in the box labelled "war" and Rawhide Kid in "westerns." The last one is stuffed with Archies, Caspar, and even Bob Hope!

While I've not indulged in comic books for decades, I have maintained a strong connection to collections of comic strips - about which I am about to start a separate thread.

Jeff

any other wolverine/x-men fans here?

watched the wolverine movie?

id love to hear your thoughts on it.

*spoilers encouraged of course, for those who havent read the novel.

I just picked up The Wolverine today while picking up some last second gifts....not sure when I'll have a chance to watch it, but I'll let you know when I do.

Batman said:
I just picked up The Wolverine today while picking up some last second gifts....not sure when I'll have a chance to watch it, but I'll let you know when I do.

cool, when you refer to the wolverine, are you referring to the comic book or the movie? anyways, id like to hear peoples thoughts with both and their correlations.

In essence, i guess i think its similar to the Star trek reboot that they did recently. Altho id have to admit the star trek reboot was done flawlessly, not offending the original fans and yet, building it to be viable, believable enough to 'recreate' a new path. thats gotta be a hard one to beat imo.

jomari said:
Batman said:

cool, when you refer to the wolverine, are you referring to the comic book or the movie? anyways, id like to hear peoples thoughts with both and their correlations.

In essence, i guess i think its similar to the Star trek reboot that they did recently. Altho id have to admit the star trek reboot was done flawlessly, not offending the original fans and yet, building it to be viable, believable enough to 'recreate' a new path. thats gotta be a hard one to beat imo.
Is there an emoticon for having your head spin so fast from seeing something unbelievable, because if there is then I need one after catching the bolded section out of the corner of my eye...

Ummm... I think the exact opposite is true. Whether one liked the "new" take on Star Trek or not, there's no arguing that a huge number of "original" fans were very pissed at the treatment - my whole family included!

Here's what I wrote in the Star Trek Into Darkness Thread:

"I think Roddenberry would have been horrified by what this film has done to his legacy.

As a stand-alone film, taken in isolation from everything that came before it, it is an ok movie / good entertainment. But just as the new Superman movie is nothing but an anti-homage, so too is this Star Trek.

It's simply all-wrong on too many levels.

In both movies blowing shit up was the only point. Again, seeing shit get blown up, all on its own, can be entertaining. But not at the expense of the character(s) and ethos that are the heart of the franchise(s).

You know, the last Bond films (and especially the last one) took us back into the character that Ian Fleming created. This Star Trek (and Superman) take "character" and turn it into caricature."

Jeff

ps. A review that sums things up rather nicely with respect to "old" versus "new" fans. http://www.accesshollywood.com/star...star-trek-movie-ever-moviemantz_article_83129

i was actually referring to the first one, star trek 2009. this is coming from a star trek fan, and of course a matter of opinion.

i didnt care much for into darkness, simply because it was trying to do too much at the same time. it was difficult to see almost three of their films and then some, being mushed together to get things going so to speak.

the new superman movie, 'man of steel'? that was a bad bad reboot in my opinion. it made him vunerable in places we didnt consider, exploiting somewhat the theme of today, too much sensitivies, politically correct standings, dont ask dont tell and its okay as long as kinda attitude.

good article tho, great read. pretty much in lieu with what i mentioned earlier, that star trek (2009) was a great reboot.

My apologies!

It seems we are of the same mind after all!

Jeff

I gave my eldest son a book on the history of Marvel Comics. I did not realize so many of the characters started in the sixties.

I received my first graphic novel for Christmas! So excited to dive into it!!!
Thank you!!!! ;)

wonder%20woman%20vol%201%20blood.JPG

I get around six new comics every Wednesday, don't buy like I used to though.

Not caring for the new 52 much.

Zing said:
Do any of you guys know about and/or use ComiXology?
I've played around with it, but much like those who are sticking with putting the cd in the tray of their player as opposed to mp3s and streaming, I really enjoy flipping through the pages when I take the time to delve into a new story.

Ditto. I rarely buy single editions as I prefer to to buy graphic novels which collect multiple issues (and sometimes multiple titles) which run the same complete story arc. There just something about flipping through paper pages that I prefer to the tablet apps.

Back