• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Cord cutters, what do you miss?

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
I am on the verge of going OTA and just using Uverse for my internet services. I am currently at 150/month, with I think 12mbps bandwidth.

I tried a new antenna, and it seems to work pretty well, game plan is getting two instead, and just a small converter box, and use that for the recording aspect of it. no need for two since bedroom tv is more or less for news.

What do you miss tho?

- does syfy really become a black hole?
- does the wifey or you miss the hallmark channels?

im curious before I finally make the decision. I think that I can afford the basic cable, but not sure even at 20 clams if I wanted to.

A lot of cable shows are on Hulu, including stuff from SyFy. Between Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, you can get just about anything, though you may have to buy a season here and there if you want current episodes. Sling TV is basically a waste of money unless you need ESPN. CBS All Access can supplement Hulu if you cannot get CBS OTA. Amazon is a discounted reseller for a bunch of subscription services, so you should definitely check that out. YouTube Red is pretty cool, but is only a really good deal if you use Google Play Music.

i tried to look up the CBS all access, but it doesnt give me my local news. i suspected that in the beginning, simply because i dont think they'd try to accomodate each and every local station for news.

i am slowly getting getting confident to try cutting the cord folks.

i think the only problem i have is HBO for Game of thrones., but its a possibility i just get the HBO Go for the season, and call it a day.

When i buy one of those OTA recorders, like this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Viewtv-AT-163-Con ... ds=OTA+dvr

it depends on the box to 'scan' for your channels right?

darn it...

Syfy is still a concern. :happy-smileygiantred:

So have you cut the cord yet? I'm looking at it too... best option I'm seeing for what I'd want is:
  1. Sling TV - Blue (get most of the cable channels I'd want with some limited ability to time-shift the viewing of the shows depending on the network)
  2. Roamio TIVO with an HDTV antenna (get local channels and be able to record them)
  3. Netflix Subscription
  4. Hulu Subscription
  5. Amazon Prime (which I have regardless for the free shipping)

Cost would be ~$400 upfront and then ~$45/mo after that.
What I'd be losing in general are the premium channels and ESPN and the ability to record the cable channels on a DVR. But saving probably $150/mo on what I'm paying right now. Kind of an attractive proposition right now.

Last edited:
Just a friendly reminder that DirecTV Now will launch with 100 streaming channels for $35 very soon. Unconfirmed reports indicate that AT&T will be giving away Amazon Fire Stick or AppleTV boxes.

Please note that I do work for AT&T but I don't represent them here. I also don't have much information regarding DTV Now that hasn't been reported publicly.

^ I'll certainly give that a really close look. Any early rumored channel lineups?
So have you cut the cord yet? I'm looking at it too... best option I'm seeing for what I'd want is:
  1. Sling TV - Blue (get most of the cable channels I'd want with some limited ability to time-shift the viewing of the shows depending on the network)
  2. Roamio TIVO with an HDTV (get local channels and be able to record them)
  3. Netflix Subscription
  4. Hulu Subscription

What I'd be losing in general are the premium channels and ESPN and the ability to record the cable channels on a DVR. But saving probably $150/mo on what I'm paying right now. Kind of an attractive proposition right now.
all the above are nearly exactly what I've been using with the exception that I also use HBO & Showtime streaming services. I've been pretty happy for the most part, and the savings have been worth the jump. Neither the wife or I have found ourselves saying we regret the change.

Just a friendly reminder that DirecTV Now will launch with 100 streaming channels for $35 very soon. Unconfirmed reports indicate that AT&T will be giving away Amazon Fire Stick or AppleTV boxes.

Please note that I do work for AT&T but I don't represent them here. I also don't have much information regarding DTV Now that hasn't been reported publicly.
I'm definitely gonna give this a close look when available. Forgive me if I missed a link or info that you've posted elsewhere but has there been any rumored hints at the channel lineup?

2. Roamio TIVO with an HDTV (get local channels and be able to record them)
  3. Netflix Subscription
  4. Hulu Subscription

i havent actually cut the cord simply because of the internet cap i might be a bit worried about. truth be told tho i dont think id even hit 1Tera worth of data, but i cant say either. thats why i kept the most basic available plan at 20 bucks, and paid 15 bucks for a DVR that is active (i had to throw in 5 more bucks to get it activated, normally it doesnt allow you to apparently)

i did consider Haywoods option, i believe it was the other service that was wifi based.

i also got me a OTA tuner, which satisfies MY need of watching news and being able to DVR it.

Currently using:

OTA antenna - $0
Sling TV - $25
Netflix- $9
HBO GO - $15
Amazon Prime-$?

So far I'd say the biggest thing I "miss" is not having a easy DVR solution for my live TV and some of the Sling channels.

I know there's probably a way to do this, but I prefer simplicity over hovering over a computer at 3am trying to remotely figure out why my raspberry Pi home brew DVR is only recording in 480i or whatever random issue will happen on the week I'm out of town and my wife wants to marathon some show that now doesn't work for whatever reason.

D

Yup and TiVo now offers lifetime subscription for the dirt cheap Roamio OTA vs monthly.

I'm hearing that DirecTV Now won't have DVR functionality but will have the ability to "catch-up" on shows for up to 3 days from broadcast. If that's true it probably won't be available for all channels.

There's also rumors about a cloud based DVR from TiVo coming very soon. It'll store your DVR'd content in the cloud and stream it for playback. I suppose that's an advantage if you run into space limitations or if it works with mobile devices.

I have to backtrack a little, looks like the Roamio OTA went from $50 with a monthly $15 subscription to maintain the guide. Is now $399 with no fees.

Last edited:
The cool thing about the Roamio though, particularly for your setup Doghart, is it has Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and HBO Go apps built in and will unify shows across all the apps into one playlist. Once you learn to set it up and navigate it's pretty cool.

I am loving my middle tier, 70+ channels with Playstation Vue for $35 a month. Vue has a DVR, using it for AMC to watch The Walking Dead. with this package is all the ESPN channels, Fox Sports channels, SEC, Big10, and my local Longhorn network.
Some cities get their local channels as well.
I cut the cable over a decade ago.

I am loving my middle tier, 70+ channels with Playstation Vue for $35 a month. Vue has a DVR, using it for AMC to watch The Walking Dead. with this package is all the ESPN channels, Fox Sports channels, SEC, Big10, and my local Longhorn network.
Some cities get their local channels as well.
I cut the cable over a decade ago.

Cool. Are you grandfathered to a lower price?
I'm asking because the lowest Vue plan is $40 on their website right now and the 70 channel plan is $45.

IMG_1068_zps546udqwf.png

Internet Service - $60/mo.
Usenet accounts and indexer services - $20/mo.
NAS with a Windows Server VM running Sonarr and nzbGet - $2500
Being able to watch any TV show from any source on demand with no ads on any device - Priceless

Piracy. It's everything you want to see.

:devil:

Back