• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Curved Diffuser

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
I am in the process of make a 2D (curved) diffuser out of 1lb density EPS Foam.

I am experimenting with dimensions and wondering if anyone here can help.

Flint had recommended that I place a diffuser on the walls directly to the sides of seats.

I plan on the diffusers to be a radius from 4" to 24" wide and 36" long. I can vary all dimensions if I have to.

Let me know what you think.

This picture didn't come out that great, however it gives an idea.

Attachments

• 20150306_152318 (5).jpg
    20150306_152318 (5).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 549
This one is a little better.

Attachments

• 20150306_152325.jpg
    20150306_152325.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 548
Make sure the surface is smooth and reflective.

The diameter and width determine how low in frequency they are having any impact on the sound. So... a 24" width half round reflector will be somewhat diffusive down to approximately 564Hz (full wavelength) and have some impact to about 141Hz (quarter wavelength).

The depth (determined by radius) will impact the diffusive effectiveness. The deeper the panel (narrower in radius), the more effective the diffusion at frequencies above the cutoff point (141Hz for a 24" wide half round panel).

Rules of thumb...

- make the left and right diffusers identical and place exactly opposite each other.
- at the sides of the listener a horizontal mounted panel will be more effective than a vertically mounted panel. Behind the listener vertically mounted is better.
- if making more than two, vary the size and shape to balance out how they affect the room. Make some 24" wide and 8" deep and others 19" wide and 7" deep, but always is pairs.

Have fun.

Back