• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Darbee DVP-5000

Huey

Famous
After seeing others talk about this in Bmwuk thread about his Oppo player with this built in, I decided to buy one of these, which came on Friday.

First, this does not look like a $200 piece of video gear. Build quality is ok, and it gets the job done, and honestly, once you get it set up, you can probably tuck it behind the tv and forget about it.

Not much to setup, just plug the output of your source in to it, connect another HDMI cable to the output and then to the tv, and finally plug it in. There are three settings, Hi-Def, gaming, and full pop, with the full pop being the most dramatic in changing the appearance, although to me, that setting is akin to torch mode in a showroom.

You can also change the graduation of all three settings, from 0 to 120 in 5 point increments. You can get into an "advanced" menu and change the increments to 1 point, but I don't think many will bother with that.

Now for the fun part. This works! Period! I was a little skeptical that it would end up being cartoonish, or that everything would have double edges on them, but after playing around with it, I ended up using Hi-Def at a setting of 65. I played Guardians of the Galaxy first, which is a pretty good looking movie to begin with, but when paused and turning the darbee on and off, you could see just how much better the darbee made the picture. It made the picture sharper and increased the black levels, without introducing ringing or other artifacts. I was afraid it was going to look unnatural or over processed, which it can at the higher settings, but at least for me with the middle of the road setting, it looks very good.

I think Botch was going to get one of these as well, I'd be curious to hear his views on it. $200 is probably the most I would spend on something like this, but I do not regret my purchase in the slightest.

Huey,

Thanks for the post.

I too have been looking at possibly getting one. I'd use it in my main HT - which uses an Optoma DC3 720p DLP device. All the reviews I've seen talk about using it with 1080p devices and I'm curious how it will look with 720p.

So I wrote to the company and they assured me that the effect was visible with any display - and that I could always make use of their 30 day return policy to check it out.

What are you using it with?

Jeff

Jeff,
I'm using it with a 73 inch Mitsubishi DLP, which is only a couple of years old. The one area where results may vary, is with video, like newscasts or programs like that. The increased black levels really bring out the details in the anchors faces, which can be a little distracting. I will say the better the source material, the more "3D" the picture ends up having. Hopefully if you decide to buy one, you can get a decent deal on it.

Does the Darbee option on the Oppo have the same level of control? Thought I recalled reading that it was limited to three presets.

Towen7 said:
Does the Darbee option on the Oppo have the same level of control? Thought I recalled reading that it was limited to three presets.

Not sure on the Oppo Towen, but the stand alone Darbee has only 3 presets, although you can vary the level of control on all three presets.

And in any case, all of the serious reviews that I've read have said that the Hi-Def setting is the one to use, and somewhere just below the mid-point in its range. That gives an improved image with no visible negative side effects. This is, of course, all very subjective, as one person's likes might be another's dislikes.

Jeff

Yes, the hi-def setting seems to be the most natural, and I have mine set at 65, which is just above the half way point.

Thanks much, Huey! :banana-dance:

Mine's supposed to be here Wednesday. You said:
I will say the better the source material, the more "3D" the picture ends up having.
I've read that in several reviews, seems counterintuitive but anxious to see it.

You also said you had to manually switch the effect on and off manually to compare; I thought the box had a "split-screen" comparison setting but that may have been a different model. Other reviews also mentioned "Hi-Def, 65%", so I guess that's where I'll head. Thanks again!

My Oppo player provides a split screen comparison as well as a sweep of the screen as well. The best way to a/b compare is finding images centered on screen and symmetrical, like a face.

Botch said:
Thanks much, Huey! :banana-dance:

Mine's supposed to be here Wednesday. You said:
I will say the better the source material, the more "3D" the picture ends up having.
I've read that in several reviews, seems counterintuitive but anxious to see it.

You also said you had to manually switch the effect on and off manually to compare; I thought the box had a "split-screen" comparison setting but that may have been a different model. Other reviews also mentioned "Hi-Def, 65%", so I guess that's where I'll head. Thanks again!

I didn't really want to use the phrase 3D, but it is probably the best way to describe it. Like a good picture that has great black levels, you almost get a sense of depth within the picture.

There is a demo button on it as well, with one push giving you a split screen, and a second push the bar starts moving back and forth so you can compare the whole picture. I was just playing around with a bluray on pause when I was hitting the button to turn it on and off. What was amazing, was just how soft the picture looks when the unit is off, although that got me thinking as well. I'm sure somebody would have figured this out if this was the case, but wouldn't almost sell itself if not only did it sharpen the picture when on, it softened it when it was off.

Haywood, I haven't watched anything streamed yet, but would imagine there would still be some improvement.

Here's a post over at AVS about using 4 Darbees daisy chained together. Some people must have more money than brains. :text-link:

After having this for a week, I'm still very happy with my purchase. I wish that you could have different levels across the three choices, if you set it at 60, it's 60 for Hi-def, gaming, and full pop. Not a big deal, but I do find myself turning it down for shows like the news. A setting of 65 for hi-def video can be a little too much at times.

jomari said:
i think i want one for my projector... :(

If the Darbee was $100, I'd jump all over it Jomari. I still think it's a decent value at $200, and at least with my setup, it makes a pretty noticeable difference. And from what I've read, it works really well with a projector. Good luck if you decide to buy one.

should you connect it after the AVR towards the display, or before the avr? it would make sense to do it afterwards, so you dont have to fiddle with any other settings. plus the sources you'd have on the avr would be 'meshed' into this one. of course, im just thinking out loud here...

If your avr is doing hdmi switching, then hook it up after the avr, that way all of your sources are going through the darbee.

jomari said:
So.. What's the cheaper ones er... Flaws compared to the newervversion?

I know nothing of the newer one other than what Botch and Rope posted above. Prettier box, higher price tag and better hdmi handshake. Since mine is tucked behind my tv, I'm good with what I got.

Haywood, Everything I've read, this thing shines with projection type systems, so you probably wouldn't be disappointed.

Back