• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

"Dare to Drum" - best drumming documentary ever!

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I whine all the time about entertainment about being musicians failing completely at representing what it's truly like. Too many misrepresent talent as being the only God given thing necessary for great performers. Others misrepresent what practice is truly like.

Dare to Drum captures what being drummer is like perfectly.

It is on Amazon Prime and I highly recommend it.

I didn't realize the entire performance of the piece the documentary was about followed the ending of the documentary. I actually applauded from my seat in my listening room after watching the performance. Wow!

Now I am frustrated I cannot find a recording I can own of the performance or any performance of the piece. It was written by Stewart Copeland on commission for the D'Drum percussion ensemble and the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. Called Gamelan, I can only find the score for sale.

Wow @Flint thanks for this one, just finished watching it. It was fascinating, I was completely absorbed the entire time. To get the behind-the-scenes look at what went into this in terms of composition, instrumentation, performance, and even logistics and weather, wow. And yes to end with the full performance of the entire work was perfect. What a great show! I can't imagine what most of the "stuffed shirts" who are used to their normal Mendelssohn and Tchaikovsky symphonies thought of this, but the audience really did seem appreciative, too.

Great and unique piece of music.

I loved Copeland's quip, (paraphrasing), "Well he [the orchestra conductor] doesn't seem like someone it'd be fun to go out and have a beer with, but he sure can pull these guys together." I can also only vaguely imagine what it must have been like for these guys who do improv together in a mostly unstructured environment to suddenly be placed under a rigorous classical orchestral conductor and the discipline that requires... I love these sorts of things where everyone involved is stretching themselves in musical directions they're not used to.

Last edited:
Oh crap, it just hit me who the conductor reminds me of!

p053p0yn.jpg

1c963754c82ac74a700e083e76a00e00.jpg

(No disrespect of course... He's a great musician.)

Back