• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Difference in volumes on Bluray

bmwuk

I note that when watching Star Wars The Last Jedi on Bluray that it seems more subdued at the same volumes versus some other movies like IT and The Dark Knight Rises. I know this has been the case with CDs in years past but are different Blurays doing this as well. The mix seems good but not the same oomph as the others mentioned. Am I wrong on this? Thanks .

This the same Bluray player for all of them, my Oppo 103D

I find all recordings tend to vary in average loudness, not just movies. You can blame mixing, like the different mix the DTS guys make, or the intentions of the director to set the desired mood, or just the faith a creator puts in winning the loudness war. But I would expect that if you choose a Dolby soundtrack and have calibrated your system to the standard reference level, then you should experience the same results heard in a thx theater.

So, if you think a soundtrack isn't loud enough, turn it up. The nature of our hearing as described by the Fletcher-Munsen equal-loudness curve dictates that turning it up will inherently add "oomph" and "impact" to what you hear.

Last edited:
I find all recordings tend to vary in average loudness, not just movies. You can blame mixing, like the different mix the DTS guys make, or the intentions of the director to set the desired mood, or just the faith a creator puts in winning the loudness war. But I would expect that if you choose a Dolby track and have calibrated to the standard reference level, then you should experience the same results heard in a thx theater.

So, if you think a soundtracks isn't loud enough, turn it up. The nature of our hearing as described by the equal loudness curve dictates that turning it up will inherent add "oomph" and "impact" to what you hear..
Figured that was the case. Thanks

The average level of dialog is supposed to be mixed so that a level on the soundtrack master of -18db to -20db referenced to full scale digital will equal 85db SPL in the theater. That's the way its supposed to work, but obviously that sometimes breaks down in the real world. Also the perception of relative dialog loudness will be different depending on how its recorded and any signal processing like compression applied to it, even if the absolute levels adhere to the standards.

Music mixing has no such standards for levels, so its the wild west on that front.

The average level of dialog is supposed to be mixed so that a level on the soundtrack master of -18db to -20db referenced to full scale digital will equal 85db SPL in the theater. That's the way its supposed to work, but obviously that sometimes breaks down in the real world. Also the perception of relative dialog loudness will be different depending on how its recorded and any signal processing like compression applied to it, even if the absolute levels adhere to the standards.

Music mixing has no such standards for levels, so its the wild west on that front.

Does that apply to all digital recordings, like a music or non-bluray CD?

Back