• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dimples!

Orbison

Some Ebay ads for used speakers mention that the aluminum dome tweeter has a "minor" dimple or 2. I'm wondering how "minor" a dimple would have to be on a 1" tweeter to not affect the sound. Would any audible dimple effect be directional only on the damaged side? Would an SPL meter and test tones at various frequencies be sufficient to determine if a replacement was needed?

Thanks .......... :think:

Aluminum dome tweeters can't be terribly costly to replace, if they need replacing at all. Depending on severity, you may not be able to hear the damaged tweeter.

If memory serves a piece of masking tape was used to pull dimples, or maybe it was a vacuum?

Rope

DIYer said:
^ Ask Matt B on how to fix it. He's the expert on this particular method.

that'd be me cleaning whiskey off my monitor..... :handgestures-thumbup: :laughing-rolling:

Rope said:
Aluminum dome tweeters can't be terribly costly to replace, if they need replacing at all. Depending on severity, you may not be able to hear the damaged tweeter.

If memory serves a piece of masking tape was used to pull dimples, or maybe it was a vacuum?

Rope

the Matt method includes a toilet paper tube, some suction, matts mouth and a credit card. :happy-smileygiantred:

Having a pushed-in tweeter is bad for the sound, period. It will be audible.

You can often repair a soft dome with tape or suction with little to no detriment to the sound.

Metal dome tweeters, however, are not usually repairable. Once the very carefully designed mechanical structure of the stiff dome material is compromised, there is very little that can be done to restore their original sound. Chances are the "repaired" metal dome will still sound brassy with added distortion and potential "sizzle" caused by damage.

If you want to fix the sound of a metal dome tweeter which has been pushed in, you need to replace it. Some can be replaced affordable merely by replacing the dome/voice coil assembly. But the best results usually come from replacing the entire tweeter.

The word "dimple" is too innocent and light for the negative impact on the sound. It isn't a minor problem.

Back