• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

DirecTV Now - AT&Ts streaming service

It currently offers no DVR functionality though that is likely to change soon. There is no NFL SundayTicket option. CBS is missing because of the very high premium they (CBS) charge. It's why it's not available on several other OTT channels in all markets.

I read DVR functionality should be added some time in 2017.
Also, no Sunday ticket? That's surprising, since you can stream those games now if you have Sunday Ticket (Pretty sure about this but I could be wrong).

From what I can tell, the use of the name "DirecTV" is just a branding thing and this service is not meant as a duplicate of the old satellite TV service but for streaming.

Since the prices are lower, some services just had to be cut. Those services which already have a decent or robust offering on the internet were probably less likely to want to participate at lower prices.

From what I can tell, the use of the name "DirecTV" is just a branding thing and this service is not meant as a duplicate of the old satellite TV service but for streaming.

Absolutely correct.
This is not intended (yet) to replace satellite TV product. This is an OTT service aimed at customers that don't currently participate in the subscription TV game. That market is more than 20 million households. There is, of course, a significant risk that some current DTV subscribers will "downgrade" and choose streaming but that's not the target.

Nobody has mentioned the Net Neutrality fanbois yelling about this.

Or T-mobile's plans that allow unlimited video streaming. But ... AT&T is offering the other mobile carriers to access the content directly which will allow them (the other carriers) to "zero rate" the bandwidth.

I agree AT&T's "zero rate" plan is fine and perfectly acceptable.

The one argument which does make some sense is that subscription-based content provider competitors, like YouTube Red, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, and others, do not also get to offer "zero rate". This could give AT&T's DirecTV service an advantage where wireless viewers could shift off their other services and onto DirecTV.

Actually ... I'm not sure this will apply to DTV Now, but all AT&T mobile customers who subscribe to U-verse or the satellite version of DTV are eligible for unlimited mobile data plans.

I thought the "unlimited" data plans used video transcoding to lower the resolution of the video to basic HD instead of being the native resolution of the phone screen?

I thought the "unlimited" data plans used video transcoding to lower the resolution of the video to basic HD instead of being the native resolution of the phone screen?

That's T-Mobile.
I believe AT&T instead throttles the speed after a certain point. Also phones on unlimited plans can not operate as hot-spots.

"OTT" is....?

Over
The

Its a term used to describe any media service that is delivered over the internet without the ISP's direct involvement or control. For example Pandora and Netflix are OTT music and video services. Skype is an OTT voice/video calling service. They each work "over the top" of any internet service regardless of who actually provides the internet service.

Over the top.

At&t makes and operates a network, or more accurately a bunch of networks which make up they internet, business coms, wireless, etc. That is their main business.

Over the top are the services which requires the networks to be delivered. AT&T fits those, too - Like voice service, uverse, etc. Many companies over ott services which can rub over anyone's networks.

Actually ... I'm not sure this will apply to DTV Now, but all AT&T mobile customers who subscribe to U-verse or the satellite version of DTV are eligible for unlimited mobile data plans.

Yeah, since I have DirecTV, we could move to the unlimited mobile plan, but honestly, right now we're on the 15GB plan and it's effectively unlimited since we just don't use near that much bandwidth (and I like and sometimes use the tethering option).

But the zero rating of the data might well make this attractive for someone who doesn't have a regular wired home internet. Such a person could use the mobile device to stream all their regular viewing for (essentially) free. This might make it extra attractive to someone who has cut all their cords.

Is anyone using D* NOW (Bat signal lit!)
Thoughts? Likes? Dislikes?

I read some review horror stories right at the start so have pushed it to the wayside for a while...but
if those things are cleared up and we have any users, I am want to hear your thoughts.
I really want to cut down the money I'm paying for service...

I've had it for a little while now and after a rough start for 3-4 weeks at the outset, it's been pretty smooth sailing for the most part. In the beginning we were watching some archived shows (Treehouse Masters for example) and the video would stop/crash as if it were paused while the audio continued on and we'd have to reset the channel or sometimes the entire app. But once they figured out the early bugs, I've been pretty pleased. I jumped on when they had the promo pricing of $35/mo for 75 channels so I'm not paying the regular price yet. I'm not sure I'd keep it at full price since it would begin to creep my bill back up to levels where I don't want to go again anytime soon.

Last edited:
I called Dish Network yesterday to cancel my subscription. Signed up yesterday for DirecTV Now and prepaid 2 months to get the free Roku Premiere. Will give this a trial for 2-3 months and see if we like it. My Dish Network bill had gotten all the way up to $170/month. With DirecTV Now I will be paying $55/mo. I've played around with it a bit but not too much. I will be interested to see how my wife likes this interface. I have a feeling she will be asking me alot of questions. But...this was her idea so I am immune from criticism on this one :)

We like our DirecTV, however the customer service has gone to Sh!t since they were acquired by ATT.

Back