• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Disney+ Streaming service

Akula

Famous
I haven't seen anybody post anything on this, but it might be of interest here. I know it is for the wife and myself.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/04/pricing-launch-date-new-original-series-movies-announced-for-disney/

Disney, last week, released more info about their upcoming streaming service named Disney+. Launch will be Nov 12, with a price tag of $6.99/mo or $69.99 annually. Content will be available for offline streaming (you can download to device to watch later). They said devices like Roku and PS4 will work with the system, but their slide showing devices also included the Apple TV, Smart TVs, computers, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and Amazon Fire Stick. So it looks like they are going to have their bases nicely covered on that. Like Netflix, viewer profiles will be allowed with parental controls as needed.

As for content, yes, it's looking like they'll have just about all of Disney's back catalog on there- the classics, the recent stuff, and so on. Existing and new TV content (including Marvel and Star Wars) will be on there. In fact, Lucasfilm said this will be the focus of Star Wars stuff once we're past Episode IX later this year. There will also be the 20th Century Fox library- up to and including all 30 seasons of the Simpsons. I also read stuff about National Geographic making content for the service.

Oh, and since Disney now also owns 60% of Hulu, there will be discounts for those who subscribe to both services.

I'm eager to subscribe, and if I were Netflix I've be pretty stinking nervous.

I'm sure we will be getting it as well. Glad to see it priced where it's at, but being Disney, it won't stay that cheap for long.

I keep hearing that Netflix should be nervous, although not sure why. Sure, if this was announced just as Netflix was getting to streaming, but Netflix has come up with so many new and original content, I'm more apt to watch it for that than a movie they have the rights to show. There's also the fact that Netflix is bigger than Disney now. That gives them some additional clout.

We've been posting about this for over a year as Disney has made it abundantly clear this is their future and was the business model for success behind their acquisition of so much of the studio ecosystem. By controlling over half the content, they can then force their customers to pay only them to get access to it.

I think it is more interesting that AT&T sold their small stake in Hulu as that could lead to all the Warner content being removed from Hulu. They can then charge their own fee for a streaming service to get access to that stuff.

Basically, I believe we are on the verge of paying far more than we ever paid for unlimited cable in order to get just the basics we love.

I agree. I think I'm going to just stick with amazon prime and disney+ when it comes out and then cancel netflix. I feel like even though netflix has a lot of original content that it's not very good content.

I agree. I think I'm going to just stick with amazon prime and disney+ when it comes out and then cancel netflix. I feel like even though netflix has a lot of original content that it's not very good content.

It's funny, I like Amazon and Netflix most of all. Mostly I watch Hulu+ for streaming primetime shows, which for the most part I wouldn't miss. CBS All Access was always about Star Trek and not much else - though I do enjoy their primetime shows.

This is a strange world. Before long there won't be any common shared events of choice in out culture. The only thing binding us will be where we live, work, shop, and those rare unavoidable events like a catastrophe or election.

I'm sure we will be getting it as well. Glad to see it priced where it's at, but being Disney, it won't stay that cheap for long.

I keep hearing that Netflix should be nervous, although not sure why. Sure, if this was announced just as Netflix was getting to streaming, but Netflix has come up with so many new and original content, I'm more apt to watch it for that than a movie they have the rights to show. There's also the fact that Netflix is bigger than Disney now. That gives them some additional clout.

This is the whole of Disney and 20th Century Fox that's going to be inaccessible to Netflix. I know Netflix is making their own content more, but they're still learning how it's done. Disney and Fox are old hands at that. This won't put them out of business, but it will put a dent in their subscriber pool.

I also don't think the prices are going to shoot up all that much- likely some, but remember, all that back catalog stuff is very nearly free for Disney. They don't have to license any of it.

@Akula maybe it will take a big bite out of Netflix's business, but I'm guessing there will be those like me that decide they want both. There are still quite a few shows that we like to watch on Netflix, like Stranger Things, and I think if they continue down that road with original content there's room for both. I'll be curious if they also offer an abc affiliate like CBS All Access does.

I also don't think the prices are going to shoot up all that much- likely some, but remember, all that back catalog stuff is very nearly free for Disney. They don't have to license any of it.

At what point in the world of business has a company priced their products solely on what it costs them to provide it? If they believe they can charge double the initial pricing and still grow subscribers, they will do it.

At what point in the world of business has a company priced their products solely on what it costs them to provide it? If they believe they can charge double the initial pricing and still grow subscribers, they will do it.

No argument. But if they can undercut competitors to grab market share because they're more efficient at production, that is also exceedingly common. We call it competition, you lovely capitalist, you.

I agree that this is probably an introductory rate, but it does look like Disney wants to leverage their stake in Hulu and even ESPN (ESPN+ will also be able to be bundled in, I didn't mention that), so they may be thinking keep the price of one service more reasonable in order to get people willing to throw in others. If you've cut the cord you might be interested in some sports programming via ESPN.

Well, Hulu was always intended as a way to get broadcast content from OTA providers onto a streaming service. It did other stuff, including original content, but its main purpose is broadcast content.

Since we already had Hulu and Disney+, I decided to upgrade to the Disney+ bundle which added access to ESPN+. This has resulted in two Disney+ credit card charges a month: $6.99 and $0.01.

If I were not pre-paid for another two years, I would have considered dropping it over the Gina Carano firing. I'm getting super tired of this shit.

I pay mine yearly.

But i think at the beginning there were promos for 2 or 3 year subs.

Mr.6
i paid mine for the year too, but would be willingly do so if it was worth it. and with my two kids, i think it helps to say it works for our situation.

id love to try out discovery plus, but boss lady is kinda declining given our subscriptions AND cable.

Back