• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

DIY - Network/Wiring my house

The DirtMerchant

Famous
Not a big project, but I want to run a Cat6 cable and phone line from my office to my router that is in another room.
I have a drop ceiling basement and am planning to drop the wires into the basement, across and back up to the other room.

I don´t have any holes large enough currently to fit the Cat6 terminator, all the holes are only large enough for telephone lines
or hidden behind molding that I don´t want to take out. So...my question

I have a Heat/AC register right next to where I need to feed one line to/from. Would it be crazy to remove the vent cover and drill
through the cube area down and drop right into the basement there? I can see the box in the basement and its easily accessible.
I´m thinking duct tape the edges so it won´t cut the wire and I´ll have the wires coming out of the grate...?

I don´t really want to drill holes, even at the edges, in my nice hardwood floor...

Not a big project, but I want to run a Cat6 cable and phone line from my office to my router that is in another room.
I have a drop ceiling basement and am planning to drop the wires into the basement, across and back up to the other room.

I don´t have any holes large enough currently to fit the Cat6 terminator, all the holes are only large enough for telephone lines
or hidden behind molding that I don´t want to take out. So...my question

I have a Heat/AC register right next to where I need to feed one line to/from. Would it be crazy to remove the vent cover and drill
through the cube area down and drop right into the basement there? I can see the box in the basement and its easily accessible.
I´m thinking duct tape the edges so it won´t cut the wire and I´ll have the wires coming out of the grate...?

I don´t really want to drill holes, even at the edges, in my nice hardwood floor...

Can you cut the wires and re-terminate once you get them through the too small holes?

I can cut them...but reterminating Cat6...no clue how to do that and I definitely don´t have the tools for it w/o leaving the house.

Best practice is to run in-wall rated cable and to terminate wiring at a jack that’s mounted to the wall. Jacks are easy to terminate but you’ll need the jack (obviously) and a punch-down tool which can be purchased online.

An entry-level crimping tool for CAT cables will set you back about 10-12$, it's difficult to tell with only a description but it sounds like it would be well worth buying in order to make your proposed solution less horrible sounding.

If you have hardwood floors then why not try to make the hole from underneath a door threshold, next to/behind a radiator or concealed by some other fixture in the room above?

I've seen many nice floors but never one that didn't already have several adapted bits in order to fit fixed interior furnishings.

If you're really serious about no floor damage whatsoever then why not make the hole as close as possible but somewhere it can be made invisible and then just route it along the top of the floor skirting boards to where it needs to go?

Back