• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

do or did you read archie comics? warning! Spoiler alert!

Re: do or did you read archie comics? warning! Spoiler alert

I used to read Archie comics when I was growing up, but haven't in a long time. I hate how everything now a days, has to have a message. Why does he have to die saving a gay friend, can't it just be a friend whether he is gay or not? Plus there's the whole gun control issue.

Huey said:
I used to read Archie comics when I was growing up, but haven't in a long time. I hate how everything now a days, has to have a message. Why does he have to die saving a gay friend, can't it just be a friend whether he is gay or not? Plus there's the whole gun control issue.

Agreed.

Huey said:
Not to be argumentative but it's just a fad. Gay rights, and gun control are hot topics right now. And stories such as these are far and wide reaching ways to get a topic or a message about a topic in front of people, kids, adults, etc that may not have a healthy influence in their lives to be able to discuss such topics. It's been the way of comics for decades. (I recall stories in which Lois Lane spent time as a black woman, Green Arrow dealing with Speedy's drug addiction, every super hero in the 40s fighting the Nazis, etc) Plus it's not as much an in-your-face lecture you may receive otherwise. Sure it's THE story but you read it, take what you will from it and move on. And if someone chooses to discuss the topic further, It can present a different type of opportunity to bring up awkward or polarizing topics. Another more recent example would be the short comic story Something Terrible by Dean Trippe which addresses sexual child abuse...when you get right down to it, all types of stories in all types of media have a "message."

I know Batman, and by doing so, they hope to sell more copies. I'm not against them having a gay character in the comic, but they would never say Archie died saving his hetero friend. At least to me, his sexual orientation shouldn't define his character, which is the same for life.

But on the flip side...it's not about the character himself being defined as gay. It's about Archie embracing the friendship of a gay person. It defines Archie more than it defines the gay person, but without identifying the character as gay he is just another person, and you know nothing more about Archie.

Huey said:
I know Batman, and by doing so, they hope to sell more copies. I'm not against them having a gay character in the comic, but they would never say Archie died saving his hetero friend. At least to me, his sexual orientation shouldn't define his character, which is the same for life.
The fact that you feel a need to say so demonstrates its importance. Substitute "black" or "Jewish" for "gay" and it's the same thing: it should simply go without saying, because to say otherwise would simply be wrong.

But since there is still such a need, there is therefore a contradiction to your final point: there is still a need to show how it defines his character. Non-gays do not face the same bias, pressure, hatred, etc. that gays do - even with the slow but steady shifting in attitudes. Sexual orientation is a defining characteristic to many, if not most, gays. That's their "life" and until the previous statement really can go without saying, it will be so. (And for the record I understand what you are saying, and agree, to the extent that I hope this is where we eventually get to.)

For years I had a lot of trouble understanding why it was important to gays to openly express their sexual orientation (for example pride parades) when non-gays would never think of doing so - at least so I thought. I think (hope) I now understand; and with this understanding has come acceptance (after purging myself of an awful lot of absorbed societal bias (and to be completely honest, hatred) from my early decades of life).

I've not read Archie since I was a kid, but hats off to the writers and publisher for pursuing that story line.

Good post Jeff.

Batman said:
Not to be argumentative but it's just a fad. Gay rights, and gun control are hot topics right now.
Huh? I thought "gun control" is so 2013. :confusion-questionmarks: The latest is the war against women's choice on contraception, no? :confusion-scratchheadblue:

JeffMackwood said:
The fact that you feel a need to say so demonstrates its importance. Substitute "black" or "Jewish" for "gay" and it's the same thing: it should simply go without saying, because to say otherwise would simply be wrong.
Just thinking out loud, homosexuals have been around with every culture since the existence of us. In relative term, the amalgamation of different race/religion working and living under one "roof" is a recent thing which is still in maturing process. Why do you think homosexuality still isn't accepted to the equal status as heterosexuality by all the cultures in the world even after all these centuries? Again, just thinking out loud. :think:

DIYer said:
Why do you think homosexuality still isn't accepted to the equal status as heterosexuality by all the cultures in the world even after all these centuries? Again, just thinking out loud. :think:
I'm guessing bigotry (which could also be called "Fear of the Unknown/Different") is a human trait that may never leave everyone.

There's a huge comic book fan base on this forum; all I ever read for comic books was Archie. Wonder if Mom still has my two (well-worn) stacks of issues.

Botch said:
I'm guessing bigotry (which could also be called "Fear of the Unknown/Different") is a human trait that may never leave everyone.
Different, yes. Unknown? Hmm..., I don't see what's unknown about homosexuality. :think:
As for the human traits that never leave us, what would that mean for the future of homosexuality? My guess is that some day there will be medical procedures, be it genetic engineering or treatments, that will convert homosexuals to heterosexuals. I think the same will happen to disabilities.

DIYer said:
My guess is that some day there will be medical procedures, be it genetic engineering or treatments, that will convert homosexuals to heterosexuals.
How about genetic engineering, or treatments, that eliminate bigotry?

DIYer, are you suggesting that it's entirely known what makes a person homosexual? Internally, genetically, etc?

Whoa, my fault. Can we go back to comic books? :doh: :|

DIYer said:
Botch said:
Different, yes. Unknown? Hmm..., I don't see what's unknown about homosexuality. :think:
As for the human traits that never leave us, what would that mean for the future of homosexuality? My guess is that some day there will be medical procedures, be it genetic engineering or treatments, that will convert homosexuals to heterosexuals. I think the same will happen to disabilities.
For so many reasons I nominate this for dumbass post of 2014!

Batman said:
DIYer, are you suggesting that it's entirely known what makes a person homosexual? Internally, genetically, etc?
I'm saying it's known. I've read a report on gene studies about 20 years ago showing the difference between hetero and homosexuals. They found the link on how the gene is inherited (female carries the gene). That was little over 20 years ago soon after Bill Clinton signed gays in the military bill. If my memory serves, it was Time magazine that published the report.

JeffMackwood said:
For so many reasons I nominate this for dumbass post of 2014!
Dude, if you have to call someone making future predictions "dumbass post of 2014", then you've got a problem.

Never was a comic reader but the Archie TV cartoons get my vote for all time worst.

Anyway didn't Ace and Gary beat them all to the punch?
th

Back