• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dune 2021

Hot Monkey

Planning on watching this on Sunday streaming on HBO Max in the home theater. Would have preferred IMAX but with COVID numbers flaring up around here me and my girlfriend decided just to stay home. But figured I would start a thread to discuss it. Big sci-fi geek as a kid and these books (and the now silly and dated looking original film adaptation) were always favorites. Hoping this new one gets it right. Trailers looked pretty amazing. Anyone watch it yet? I heard they released a day early on HBO Max (the 21st).

I plan on watching this weekend. Saw trailer.

Is this part one of two?
I believe it's a redo/remake movie based on the original first book. The first movie version was (arguably) cool when it came out but now super dated and more then a little hokey. Very much looking forward to this version with modern visual effects and what looks like a pretty stacked cast.

I plan on watching this weekend. Saw trailer.

Is this part one of two?
to answer your question, yes, this is a two part movie.

i havent seen it. still confuses the hell out of me. i wanted to watch the original, but thankfully youtube got me covered. tells you what you need to know prior to watching the movie, the houses, the goals, is there enough spice in the girls etc.

to answer your question, yes, this is a two part movie.

i havent seen it. still confuses the hell out of me. i wanted to watch the original, but thankfully youtube got me covered. tells you what you need to know prior to watching the movie, the houses, the goals, is there enough spice in the girls etc.
Yes a two part (or more?) movie sorry didn't catch your question.

Watched it Sunday. Great looking movie. Good home theater material although I would have liked to have seen in on a big IMAX or XD screen. I think Dennis Villeneuve did an admirable job creating an authentic feeling and looking Dune universe with all the background mythology and lore of the different Houses and factions. Kind of like GOT meets Star Wars. I thought Timothee Chalamet was good and also that Rebecca Ferguson maybe stole the show a little. At over 2.5hrs run time when it ended I immediately wanted to see more. But I also liked the slow pace and that Villeneuve seems to be committed to patiently telling the story and letting it unfold naturally and not rushing straight into the action (although there is a good amount in this installment). Not sure if there will be a single sequel of if this will be a trilogy? Have not read anything to confirm one or the other but looking forward to seeing more. Anyone know when the next one is slated to be released (or if production has even been started yet)?

^^ IMDB‘s trivia section states the original intention was to split the story into two films.…..curiously, in the directors “upcoming projects,” it lists Dune: Part II and Dune: The Sisterhood.

^^ IMDB‘s trivia section states the original intention was to split the story into two films.…..curiously, in the directors “upcoming projects,” it lists Dune: Part II and Dune: The Sisterhood.
Thanks looking forward to next film.

I watched it Saturday in XD. Really really liked it. Slow paced, but well done.

Apparently, Part2 has yet to be greenlit. Hopefully the 40mil opening, even with it being available on HBO Max, weekend gets it done.
If they don't make Part 2, that will be very disappointing.

I’ll wait a while until posting spoilers but…..I was pretty disappointed and underwhelmed. I thought everything about it was “flat,” the acting the storytelling, the pace, the score, etc. I didn’t feel any sort of emotion at any point of the movie and just could not connect with the stakes of the plot. I actually dozed off several times during the last hour because I simply didn’t care…. I may give it one more viewing but I’m not sure I want to.

I’ll wait a while until posting spoilers but…..I was pretty disappointed and underwhelmed. I thought everything about it was “flat,” the acting the storytelling, the pace, the score, etc. I didn’t feel any sort of emotion at any point of the movie and just could not connect with the stakes of the plot. I actually dozed off several times during the last hour because I simply didn’t care…. I may give it one more viewing but I’m not sure I want to.
It was definitely slow rolling but I am OK investing the time so long as there is a payoff (even if not until the next film). Now let's hope it gets made.

We watched it this weekend and it was STUNNING. It was easily one of the most gorgeous science fiction movies I've ever seen. It was also very respectful of the source material. I barely felt the length of the movie and was disappointed when it ended. That is rare with a movie that long. I cannot wait to see Part II. This is a movie that will get watched multiple times, especially after they wrap up the story. So good.

Glad you guys have liked it. I was hoping to be sucked in and really like it. I admit to never having read the books so perhaps things are sorely out of context for me. I think its a shame if you have to read the books to fully appreciate it.

Glad you guys have liked it. I was hoping to be sucked in and really like it. I admit to never having read the books so perhaps things are sorely out of context for me. I think its a shame if you have to read the books to fully appreciate it.
I was thinking when I watched it that it might be a little bit confusing for those not familiar with the source material. It is a super dense book and I think they did about as well as could be expected translating it to film. There an incredible amount of world-building that has to happen and I'm not sure how you could explain the full context of everything up front without drastically deviating from the material.

I was thinking when I watched it that it might be a little bit confusing for those not familiar with the source material. It is a super dense book and I think they did about as well as could be expected translating it to film. There an incredible amount of world-building that has to happen and I'm not sure how you could explain the full context of everything up front without drastically deviating from the material.
Good point. I think that if you haven't read the book or seen the 1984 version, a lot of what they are saying is gibberish (wtf is a kwisatz haderach or Bene Gesserit or WTF is going on). The original was cut down to 2 hours from 3 against the directors will (David Lynch), and the movie was left...thin as compared to the book (people say). Whereas here...Part1 is kind of left in the middle of explanations and w/o Part2 to finish those explanations, it kind of leaves you in a lurch. Wondering wtf is going on in this movie, what is the point of it? I'm kind of surprised they didn't film both parts together and give a 6-9 month window between release. What we're going to get now is a 1-3 year break even if they make part 2.

Seems I’m in the minority with my thoughts on the film. But detractors have similar complaints as me. Seems that if you’re not familiar with the books there’s a lot of back story to be filled in and IMO maybe go for the TV series a la GoT If that’s the case. I‘ll probably do a refresh before part 2 comes out and maybe then it will all come together but I’m in no hurry at all to revisit this.

Seems I’m in the minority with my thoughts on the film. But detractors have similar complaints as me. Seems that if you’re not familiar with the books there’s a lot of back story to be filled in and IMO maybe go for the TV series a la GoT If that’s the case. I‘ll probably do a refresh before part 2 comes out and maybe then it will all come together but I’m in no hurry at all to revisit this.
I definitely need to reread the books it's been forever. I will make an effort to do so before the next one comes out. Seems I have a little time.

Back