• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dylan Wins Nobel Prize

Years ago, in Keyboard magazine, a columnist named Andy Widders-Ellis wrote a column on songwriting, and he spent several months on BD, explaining all the different devices he used in his lyrics, with examples; I was amazed!
I'm still not a fan (only have one of his albums and listened to it maybe twice) but he was a magician with lyrics.

That's the neat thing about art. It can be seen/heard differently by different people.

I don't get Dylan, at all, but he's had an extremely successful career, is held in high regard by a lot of influential people, and has won many prestigious awards. All while wielding a voice that sounds a lot like a goose with a sinus infection.

Gen and I were discussing this today and the question arose: what other songwriter, of Dylan's era, might have been considered?

I immediately thought of Leonard Cohen.

Jeff

Years ago, in Keyboard magazine, a columnist named Andy Widders-Ellis wrote a column on songwriting, and he spent several months on BD, explaining all the different devices he used in his lyrics, with examples; I was amazed!
I'm still not a fan (only have one of his albums and listened to it maybe twice) but he was a magician with lyrics.

I am a big Dylan fan but will admit his voice is not the typical one that is associated with good music.

I had to remind a friend of mine that the Nobel was for his writing and not for his voice or performances.

I agree that Dylan deserves this as much as any other writer. My fear is that songwriters will become the norm and before long Axl Rose well get one.

Paul Simon?
Why the heck not?!

On many occasions through grade and high school my English teachers would have us analyze one of his songs. Liked doing that far more than "classic" poetry!

Jeff

Funny... I was just thinking about this today and planned to look it up. Thanks for saving me the trouble!

Back