• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Everything Neil Young ever made is free in high resolution...

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I really don't like Neil Young's music, and I never have, but he has brilliantly made an online library of his career, including his collaborative works with Buffalo Springfield and CSNY, which anyone can access. It is all offered in his Hi-Rez format used in his Xstream service. I wish all aging artists could see the value of something like this. It includes unreleased content and film, photos, tour guides, and more, spanning his entire career.

This is brilliant.
https://consequenceofsound.net/2017...and-its-fucking-incredible/?wasp=facebook-ads

Neil has made some very good music (earlier in his career) IMO but he has made some real stinkers, actually quite a few (unfortunately I own several of those).

I agree with Flint in that I wish more artists would make their catalog available like this.

Does it come with a virtual fork to pierce your eardrums? I wish other artists would do this as well.

I wish other artists would do this as well.

My feeling is that any artist which is still at a bit successful would never make their stuff available for free as long as they can make $ on that same music. Even after they die off, their heirs would still potentially be able to make money on the music. That would go away forever if the music was made available for free. There are also the feelings and interests of the various publishers and record companies who might take a dim view of loss of any revenue from that music.

In the case of Neil Young, who gives a shit? It reminds me of the joke about audiophile record labels; they make perfect sounding high rez recordings of music which nobody would want to listen to.

Last edited:
It's free to listen to. It's not like you can download it and save it , or am I missing something?

It's free to listen to. It's not like you can download it and save it , or am I missing something?
No matter what, you can always record using an analog connection. In my computer, I can buss digital directly to a recording application from another application. So yes, it is simple to make a high quality copy.

Absolutely brilliant!

And making his music available like this is not too shabby either.

Jeff

I would prefer if it were someone I liked to listen to. As others have stated I am not a Neil Young fan.

I grew up with three older brothers and three older sisters. Neil Young was often on the turntable. I like Neil Young.

No matter what, you can always record using an analog connection. In my computer, I can buss digital directly to a recording application from another application. So yes, it is simple to make a high quality copy.
Simple for you maybe...I am technically challenged!!:crying:

So, this guy is considered a legend and is always praised by everyone when he appears at an awards show or other public places. I always thought I was the lone hater and pretty much kept my mouth shut (unlike my open hatred for Radiohead).

Strange.

There's enough hate in the world.

I tend to respect someone who is a great composer of music, a philanthropist, an environmental and social activist, knows his way around model trains, holds multiple honorary doctorates, and is an Officer of The Order of Canada. I'm sure it's possible (though highly improbable) that some shithead could also be all of that, but Neil is not one of them.

I love his guitar playing. (I still get the shivers when I think back to seeing him play live as part of CSN&Y; when he unleashed a guitar solo that transcended reality, that continued for what seemed like forever, and that nobody wanted to have end.) On any given day, depending on the song, I can also really enjoy his voice; other times... not as much.

I think his last two albums are outstanding works of art.

"Heart of Gold" is as near-to-perfect as a song can be.

Jeff

I think I only have one of his very earliest albums not too impressed, maybe I need to look up the new ones.

Not my favorite either. There are a couple of songs that I like, but overall, meh. Seen him a few times about town (we both live in the same area). Remember seeing him buying a Christimas tree in that hat of his... didn't feel the need to hide I guess.

This I found online:

At time of writing, access to NYA.com is free of charge. A subscription fee ($TBC) to come into effect in June 2018.

So essentially he's hoping that people will want his music enough to supply him with a long term influx of money. Free indeed......If every artist did this, people would be more tapped out from subscriptions than they already are.

Have fun guys.

This I found online:

At time of writing, access to NYA.com is free of charge. A subscription fee ($TBC) to come into effect in June 2018.

So essentially he's hoping that people will want his music enough to supply him with a long term influx of money. Free indeed......If every artist did this, people would be more tapped out from subscriptions than they already are.

Have fun guys.

Well, that sucks. But, that could explain how he got his collaborators to go along with this scheme.

By extension, I could see individual artists pulling their music from Spotify and other streaming services and setting up their own exclusive streaming services. Wouldn't that be fun? :mocking:

Back