• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Expected audio life of audio gear...

TKoP

I've never really thought about it, but is there a good rule of thumb on how long audio gear lasts?

For example:
  1. How long should an amp work before its ability to power speakers degrades
    1. E.g., parts get dirty/oxidize/etc
  2. How long before a speaker's drivers are still functioning well?
    1. E.g., do the magnets in the driver lose their power over time? What about the driver material itself, how long before it degrades?
  3. How long does a turntable last before the motor is not playing at the proper speed or the belt driving the platter is "stretched" too much to function perfectly.
This doesn't even take into account new audio formats or connections that might accelerate the upgrade process.

Just one of those things that percolated to the top of the gray matter.

Pretty much forever - with but a few exceptions, none of which apply to the specifics you raise above.

Basically everything can be maintained and repaired almost indefinitely.

My exceptions include anything Sony where they seem to not carry spare parts past the date the warranty expires. But maybe it's just me that's not a fan of Sony's non-service.

In the case of speakers, the drivers last a long long long long time. Where there is any physical deterioration (with the surround material for example) that can be easily and professionally and relatively inexpensively replaced / repaired. Same with crossover components. My Koss CM speakers (1978-84) all sound like they did the day they left the factory. They will outlive me.

I've got '70s era solid state amps that are still going strong. An occasionally (every couple of decades) trip to the shop is all that a few of them have needed.

Turntable motors (rare) and belts (occasionally) might need replacing. No big deal. I've got a '70s era Pioneer DD turntable that's still as good as new.

Cleaning, adjustment, lubrication, etc. are all things that might be necessary to keep some components in like-new sounding condition.

I think that one's hearing response curve will change with age at a far greater rate than any changes in sound quality due to aging components - in most cases - outright failure(s) excepted.

There's lots of reasons why someone might want to change their gear. Not wanting to invest a relatively small amount of money to either do a repair oneself (parts) or have someone else do it (parts and labour) is not one of mine.

Jeff

Jeff pretty much covers it.

In speakers, the one thing which will wear out in about 10-15 years time is if you have a woofer which uses foam surround. This will get dry and crack over time, especially in a smoggy/smoky/damp environment. However there are companies which sell re-foaming kits for various models. Its a bit of a messy process, but I've replaced the foam multiple times and the resulting speaker is as good as new, for another 15 years (my 18" JBL subwoofers and the woofers in my JBL 4412 monitors use foam). If you have the same speakers over multiple decades (like 40-50 years) and they use ferrite magnets, a re-charging might be a good idea if you really value the speakers. The difference a re-charging will make is not dramatic, but again, if you are picky and really value the speakers, I'd take them to a speaker repair facility and have this done. Speakers which use Alnico magnets, which are of extremely high quality but not used these days because of cost, do not really need to be re-charged unless you are really picky (I've done this to my Altec woofers and compression drivers, just because I could).

In turntables, if you keep the main bearing oiled, it will last forever. If your turntable uses a belt, I'd buy a replacement while you can and use it if the original gets too stretched out. The belt on my Thorens has been replaced once; I bought this turntable in 1972 and it still works as if new.

Traditional analog components don't really wear out with the exception of electrolytic capacitors which may dry out. If you've had an amplifier, preamp or similar for more than 30 years, I'd have the electrolytic capacitors checked. Big electrolytics can short out and spew their guts through their vent hole, and smaller ones can stop acting like a capacitor. Ironically, vacuum tube electronics seem to stand the perils of time better than solid state electronics. The pair of Dynaco MKIII tube amps I built as a kit in 1968 have functioned flawlessly since - and I still use them almost daily. I have some gear from the 1950s, and have never had a single problem with any of it, and it still gets used. My big vacuum tube tape recorder was built in 1962 - it still works like new.

Electromechanical components like pots and switches can deteriorate if the gear is in a smoky/smoggy/damp room. The #1 killer of these components (and humans themselves) is smoking. Don't do it! Contrary to popular thinking, squirting "cleaner" into pots will not give a permanent fix. It may clear up the problem for a couple weeks, but the noise will come back. Frequently the problem is a leaky coupling capacitor upstream of the pot which is letting DC voltage get to the resistance material on the pot. Pots should never have DC voltage on them, period. Contact cleaner on switches is more likely to fix a problem, but there is technique to it, which I don't have time or space to go into.

If a transistor or IC fails on older solid state gear, there might be little chance of finding an exact replacement. YMMV. Contemporary digital gear is FAR WORSE! This stuff is not designed to be "fixed" at all; if it fails, all you can generally do is throw it in the trash.

Realistically though, none of the above matters since there are so, so few people who keep "old" sound gear in the first place. Just buy the latest stuff and throw it away when it breaks (recycle it if you must, YMMV).

Last edited:
Every device lasts exactly as long as it lasts.

I have two Parasound amps I purchased in the early 1990s which are working perfectly, but I've had three other Parasound amps which have failed and were too expensive to repair. All of them lasted at least 10 years, but some last longer than others. I have a Tascam cassette deck which is still perfect, I run it a few times a year to keep the moving parts moving, but it works perfectly. I had to get rid of dozens of other cassette decks when they failed.

Basically, I shoot for everything lasting forever, but I rarely complain of they last more than 5 years.

Probably a combination of age and too many shocks from move after move after move. But I put a limit on paying more than half of replacement value for a new amp, unless it holds some special value or tech.

Probably a combination of age and too many shocks from move after move after move. But I put a limit on paying more than half of replacement value for a new amp, unless it holds some special value or tech.
I'd still be curious as to exactly what component failed, because even with "shocks", an amplifier is unlikely to fail, and 10 years of use is nothing. Solid state components just are not all that shock sensitive, and even if there was some connector or something similar within the amp which broke, that would not cost anywhere near half the value of the amplifier to repair. Still sounds like crappy manufacture in the first place.

Last edited:
My original "good" stereo was purchased in 1979: SS Yamaha components, "New Advent" speakers w/foam surrounds on the woofer, paper tweeters. I replaced everything 6 or 7 years ago to go to 5.1, about the time I joined this group. The tape deck and CD player had been replaced due to failure, everything else was working perfectly, no deterioration. They're packed away in their original boxes downstairs, don't know their current condition.
Car stereos, on the other hand... follow the above advice: don't fix. Toss. Buy new.

The tape deck and CD player had been replaced due to failure

CD players are notorious for failing after about 5 years of use; the laser looses its ability, with the symptom being that the player won't track certain discs anymore, then won't track any. Cassette decks (and VCRs) also are very lucky to survive 10 years because of all the belts, which of course you can't buy replacements for. I've had two DAT decks which are basically very tiny VCR transports; they are absolutely terrible for longevity. In the meantime, my Sony reel-to-reel deck which I got in 1964 just keeps on going; it's never broken down or had any maintenance other than replacing worn heads sometime 20+ years ago.

Sometimes I wonder with resurgence in all things "retro" whether things which actually last long enough to hand down to your kids will ever make a comeback. I have my grandfather's pocket watch which he used while he worked on the Santa Fe Railroad to keep time - it still works.

The aggravating fact is that pretty much everything except speakers, amps and "legacy" gear (i.e. turntables), becomes obsolete every ten years or so. I pretty much assume that the life of a receiver or display will be ten years. The life of a disc player will be around five and the life of a set-top box will be around 3. Gaming systems used to be ten, but that number is dropping fast. In other words, I think that technological obsolescence is a much bigger issue than things wearing out.

I've had my current speakers and power amp for about 15 yeas and my subwoofer for around 10. I do not expect to replace any of them any time soon. On the other hand, I've had one pre-pro and three receivers, three disc players, three Roku boxes and two music streamers and three displays in my system during the same time period. That does not even count all the sat receivers, cable boxes and DVRs.

I just had a 35 year old B&K amp repaired cost me close to 300.00 and two months in the repair shop. Sure I could've bought a new cheapie amp for 300.00 but they just don't make amps like they did in the 70 and 80's anymore.

Back