• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Flint's Family Room System 2017

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I've posted about most of this in various other threads, but I thought I'd make a go at it as a completed system. After my divorce I was freed up to decorate my main family room however I wanted as I gave my ex-wife all the furniture and most of the gear which was in that room. So... here it is.

Gear:
TV = Samsung 55" LED (2017 mid-range unit, not sure on the model #)
Streaming Video = Amazon Fire TV 4K (2017 model)
Assistant = Amazon Echo Dot (Streaming Audio, Bluetooth, Virtual Assistant)
Turntable = Rega Planar 3 with stock tonearm and clear platter*
Phono Cartridge = Audio-Technica VMS540ML moving magnet
Preamp = Parasound Classic 2100 Analog Stereo
Amplifier = 2 each Parasound HCA 1201A Mono Amplifiers*
Ground Loop Isolation Transformer = Jensen Iso-Max stereo transformer (between preamp and amps)
DAC = Generic Toslink to RCA Analog DAC (from TV optical output to preamp Input)*
Speakers = SVS MBS-01 (original release version)
Subwoofer = SVS SB12 NSD*
Acoustic Treatments = 3 each Auralex 2" X 24" X 24" Maroon Wedge Foam Panels*
Power = TrippLite Isobar 8 outlet power strip (sub plugged directly into wall outlet)

* purchased used

Most of the audio gear I've owned for years, but the TV, Turntable, and Subwoofer are new - and of course the Amazon Fire TV and Echo Dot.

I use the remotes that came with the devices since I generally only need the Fire TV remote once the TV is on and the input is set on the preamp. Since I usually leave the TV turned on, I rarely need to reach for its remote, though it is on the coffee table should I need it.

The speakers are on pro-sound studio monitor stands I bought on Craigslist for $25 and the mono amps are placed behind the console on the floor. The DAC is small and light and just hanging behind the preamp and the Jensen IsoMax is set on the console directly behind the preamp. I also own a fancy unused Belkin HT power conditioner which looks like a stereo component which I have been considering putting in this system in place of the TrippLite Isobar, but I like the clean look I have now and question if adding a larger silver component, I imagine just below the preamp, to the system would be detrimental to the aesthetic and offer no great performance advantage. I am also considering covering this wall with wood planks to both add acoustic benefits and create an "accent wall", but that can wait until my other home projects get completed.

AA_FamRoom_System_01.jpg

As for the performance of the system, it is pretty amazing given the shitty room it is in. Those three acoustic panels made a HUGE difference because the overall room space, which includes my open kitchen area and a breakfast area is mostly hard surfaces and plagued with aggressive reflections, though several angled walls and the half wall for the kitchen bar/counter help a bit. I am considering placing massive bass trapping above one of my kitchen cabinet areas to control some of the boominess I get when I play music loudly.

When seated on the sofa at the primary listening position, which is about 8 feet from the speakers, the sound is great. I tuned the sub for that position and levels I like (which tend to be louder than most). At lower levels the bass can seem lacking, but not missing, and at higher levels the bass will be over-powering (both characteristics a product of room acoustics AND the dreaded equal loudness curve which impacts everyone's system). The stereo imaging is far better than you'd imagine given the bare wall on the right (which I hope to improve with acoustic treatments someday) and the center channel effect is as close to perfect as you can get in this situation. I crammed the stereo speakers right up against the foam since I am using a subwoofer crossed over at 80Hz which allows the speakers to hold the very light foam in place. Once I settle on a more permanent design for the room, the acoustic treatments will be adhered to the wall somehow and the speakers could move forward several inches, but that's a future thing.

Overall, this is an amazing system, and not all that pricey given my penchant for buying used and reusing older gear despite the lack of modern features I feel are often unnecessary.

And, I do not have a disc player, I cannot think of any reason I would need one in this room except for the very rare occasion that a visiting friend may bring a disc over for us to play together. All my music and more is available in plenty fine fidelity through the Echo Dot using Amazon Music or my Phone via Bluetooth and all the video content I desire to see is available through my Amazon Fire TV connecting to Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu Plus, CBS All-Access, YouTube, and a handful of other free video streaming services. So, three sources are all I need, though the turntable is more of a novelty as I rarely play LPs beyond as a party trick for guests. Ideally, the new Amazon Fire TV would have complete Alexa integration, but it doesn't, so I need the Echo Dot for now. If Amazon ever releases a full on Fire TV with a full Alexa mic array and Bluetooth support, I would switch to that as my only source component (aside from the seldom used Turntable).

That's it.

This rig makes for fun times at the Flint Bachelor Pad.

That is a great looking setup. I love the attention to detail and the minimalism.

You've made a few changes since I've seen it. Well done, looks great. I'm interested in the console, stand your using. Please forward details.

Since this is for my family room which is the space I bring friends and visitors into while they are here, I needed something aesthetically pleasing - so my natural tendency to prefer function over form had to be quelled to focus as much on form as function. So, I made some compromises in the name of appearance.

You've made a few changes since I've seen it. Well done, looks great. I'm interested in the console, stand your using. Please forward details.

Thanks. I bought that "media cabinet" from All Modern online. It is one of the most expensive pieces of furniture I've bought since I've started redecorating my home. My primary functional requirement was that the media cabinet be wide enough to place my speakers on it, and I wanted it to be under 24" tall so my TV would comfortably fit above it (mounted to the wall at the same place as when my ex-wife was still here) and still have room for gear placed on top of it. I also wanted a Midcentury Modern style, which I am using in my entire home as I like the clean, careful, creative, and minimalist feeling that design style provides.

https://www.allmodern.com/furniture/pdp/wade-logan-roscoe-86-tv-stand-wlgn8373.html

It is surprisingly heavy and came fully assembled in one huge box. I used a coupon to get 15% off the web price AND free shipping. If you are shopping for furniture online, I strongly recommend you spend a few weeks searching, digging through the online stores, and so on (with cookies turned on) and signing up for the online stores' marketing emails and eventually they will start flooding you with great coupons. It is worth the effort.

This console is a tad shorter than I wanted, but now that it is in the room and things are coming together, I like the shortness of it because the wall is tall at nearly 10 feet. I am considering applying attractive 2x2 acoustic treatments high on the wall, probably the GIK Alpha or Impression series diffusor / absorber products. My goal is to cover my walls with as much local art as possible, and the stylish acoustic panels should fit into that vision.

I've been searching everywhere for ideas. I actually meant to ask you about when I was there. It's close to exactly what I'm looking for. I have a DIY version of it drawn up.

I'm either going that way or the complete opposite. Two tall slender cabinets flanking the screen. I fear this arrangement may be distracting though.

Back