• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Flying Colors - a new supergroup

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
http://flyingcolorsmusic.com/

Holy cow!

Neal Morse
Steve Morse
Mike Portnoy
Dave Larue
And some singer dude I don't recognize but who is loved.

I have to get this albums asap.

edit: updated link to the band's official website.

Holy cow is right. I thought I knew a thing or two about music but not one of those names was the least bit familiar to me. I had to look up each one, after which, it became clear why they weren't even familiar. I've never heard anything by Dixie Dregs; the only Spock's Beard music I've heard was on the speaker audition disc you sent me; and I'm not a fan of Deep Purple (except for one song: Bad Attitude) nor Dream Theater. And I've never heard of Alpha Rev and Endocine.

Interesting that the review didn't mention Steve Morse's tenure with the Dixie Dregs/Dregs; and I'd never heard of the other Morse either. Still, will give it a listen. :handgestures-thumbup:

These guys represent some of the most prolific and respected bands of prog rock. It isn't my fault you don't like Prog Rock.

Flint said:
These guys represent some of the most prolific and respected bands of prog rock. It isn't my fault you don't like Prog Rock.
I'm sorry I shared my opinion and contributed some input.

I ordered the CD yesterday......

Today I listened to most of it on Grooveshark.................it is exceptional, I can't wait to get the CD!

Ok ordered, thanks Flint!

So what is this "other side" album? This isn't a new (super)group?

:text-link:

Listening to some samples on Amazon. Not bad. "Forever in a Daze" is pretty catchy. I kinda dig Casey McPhereson's vocals.

Okay... weeks into this recording and a couple of dozen serious listens and I have come to realize this is easily one of the best albums ever produced in this genre. Seriously. If you have any interest in Prog Rock (classic rock, big rock, etc.) this is the album of the year, possibly the decade.

It has all the genius and complexity of traditional work by each of the artists combined with an incredible finesse and classy character that makes it easy to enjoy without paying full attention to every little nuance.

Love it.

And the performances, production value, and sheer brilliance in songwriting is without equal.

Well, I just might have to listen to this one again, then! :teasing-tease:

1. I'll order a copy on the strength of Flint's recommendation.

2. I consider myself a big fan of prog rock (but certainly not a fanatic) and have never heard of these guys individually.

3. To establish some cred in the genre: I saw Supertramp live several times in the 70's - any tour that had dates in Ottawa (one of the band's publicly stated favourite destinations) Toronto or Montreal. Remember they were charting huge in Canada (and playing to big crowds) well before they really caught on in the US - at least to my recollection. I remember them having the best-sounding PA / sound of any band I ever heard live - and that's still true today.

4. I bet there's some prog rock-loving Forum members who were barely out of diapers (or at least not yet shaving) when Crime of the Century was first released! :)

JeffMackwood said:
3. To establish some cred in the genre: I saw Supertramp live several times in the 70's - any tour that had dates in Ottawa (one of the band's publicly stated favourite destinations) Toronto or Montreal. Remember they were charting huge in Canada (and playing to big crowds) well before they really caught on in the US - at least to my recollection. I remember them having the best-sounding PA / sound of any band I ever heard live - and that's still true today.

Okay, this could really upset my Amazon Cart. :happy-smileygiantred: Is a former Supertramp member in Flying Colors? If so, is it the &%*#^! vocalist who did "The Logical Song"??? That will be a complete deal-breaker for me. :barf:

4. I bet there's some prog rock-loving Forum members who were barely out of diapers (or at least not yet shaving) when Crime of the Century was first released! :)
I actually lost my virginity to Breakfast in America, despite that damn &%*#^! vocalist... :eusa-whistle:

They sound pretty good....going to look for it.
By the way, when I clicked on the link in Flints 1st post....got a message from McAfee & it removed a trojan.

I just updated that link to the band's official website. The old link was to an industry trade magazine announcing the pending release.

Flint said:
I just updated that link to the band's official website. The old link was to an industry trade magazine announcing the pending release.
Flint, I just listened to some more of this band.....I like alot ( my foot liked it too...started tapping a beat).

Barney said:
They sound pretty good....going to look for it.
By the way, when I clicked on the link in Flints 1st post....got a message from McAfee & it removed a trojan.
If it was "dirty" perhaps it was Botch's from Breakfast in America. :)

Back