• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Garage setups anyone?

koufax65

Just got a deal on a sub to close out my garage system. Sounds pretty good for a 79 dollars sub. Did learn a lesson about cheap cables though. Didn't want to spend too much so i went with a really cheap Dynex 15' sub cable. Of course after an hour of running the cable around the water heater and all turned it on and had a terrible hum in the sub. After checking out a few things decided it must be the cheap cable. Exchanged it for a decent one and "poof" the hum was gone. lesson learned there. And all for another 20 bucks.

Attachments

• 640 garage pics 015.JPG
    640 garage pics 015.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,830
  • 640 garage pics 010.JPG
    640 garage pics 010.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,830
  • 640 garage pics 020.JPG
    640 garage pics 020.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,828
  • 640 garage pics 021.JPG
    640 garage pics 021.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,828
Wow, is your garage/workbench always so neat? Mine doesn't look a whole lot like that... :laughing:

the older house we lived in had an amazing garage, and had a sweet setup there. big ol rptv plus my ps2 back then. played star wars underground until 3am.

this ones great, but its now downgraded to a wii spot. not bad, but can be cold.

why is that garage so clean!?!?

I'm suffering from serious garage envy!

Mine just just has OSB walls and open rafters.... and no music system at all. :oops:

mines not insulated too, which brings me to a simple point if its worth it or not. we're renting, so we limit ourselves to our 'investments'.

albeit living there for 3 years now.

I can't believe I'm admitting this to you guys but I have Bose speakers as part of my garage system. :text-imsorry:

Hopefully the Denon receiver, Sony MD player and Mirage sub will redeem me a bit in your eyes. :pray:

Zing said:
I can't believe I'm admitting this to you guys but I have Bose speakers as part of my garage system. :text-imsorry:

Hopefully the Denon receiver, Sony MD player and Mirage sub will redeem me a bit in your eyes. :pray:

at one point, my cousin (whom we lived in), set up his BOSE 301s in the main living room, with his 42 inch plasma tv.

of course, he purchased a home theater in a box onkyo set back then, and wanted me to set things up for him.

it was also when i just got my horns for my 30th birthday. all set up in my 10x10 bedroom.

its hard to be a closet audiophile.

Zing said:

Nope. :snooty:

Zing said:

:violence-smack: Snap out of it, Zing!!!! Guys, this calls for an intervention! Can I get an amen?

koufax65 said:
Just got a deal on a sub to close out my garage system. Sounds pretty good for a 79 dollars sub.
It's that powerful that it had to be tied with metal straps? :eek:

Yeah, I have been called a neat freak by some. I just like to know where things are. It does get hot in the summer and a little cold in the winter, as cold as southern California gets I guess. So I don't want anything in there that is to costly. DIYer, you must be looking at the hot water heater.

jomari said:
mines not insulated too, which brings me to a simple point if its worth it or not. we're renting, so we limit ourselves to our 'investments'.

albeit living there for 3 years now.

Unless you heat/cool the garage, and maybe even if you do, it ain't worth it.
It'd cost me around $600 to insulate plus around $2,000 ($75 per 4x8 sheet) to have drywall put up by a contractor. It'd be cheaper and more practical to forego the insulation and mount 1/2" plywood on the ceiling and 3/4" on he walls.

koufax65 said:
DIYer, you must be looking at the hot water heater.
:doh: :oops:

I thought you've got one of these subs for $79.
attachment.php

Regarding insulating and heating your garage...

I had a huge garage in Grand Forks ND (room for both vehicles AND my woodworking shop) and I insulated/sheetrocked the walls, and then paid a contractor to do the same to the ceiling. The forced-air heater I bought could bring the ambient temperature from -20F to +70F within a half hour!
However, that's air temperature. My cast-iron tools, in particular the large ones like my tablesaw, 300 lbs of cast-iron, did NOT warm up that quickly, but rather acted as condensers for the water-rich exhaust coming off my hot burner. Not only did my hand stick to the icy cast-iron, but the condensation rusted everything in sight!
A heated garage is great, but only if you keep it heated 24/7. When I moved to Utard I made sure my new home could have the shop in the basement...

I also have a pretty fair size garage (1440 sq ft), it has heat, but I don't heat it (remember the boat story :doh: ).

In my garage I have a system with a Yamaha receiver, CD, Paradigm Titans, and a sub. However, I will not be posting pix cuz my garage is nowhere near as neat and tidy as Koufax's.

My garage system consists of a Yamaha receiver, ipod dock, and Insignia speakers. Hope to add some sort of CD player out there at some point.

Back